Ultimate Subaru Message Board

KYB GR2's for us.

ah yes this is true. I had KYBs on my old 85 wagon and now on my 87.

you may notice there is a gap in the listings for front struts. this is thanks to subaru:banghead: they purchased the rights to sell KYB struts for those models as long as KYB did not sell them under thier own name.

ah but no problem. I simply used the struts listed for 85 4x4 wagon on my 87 4x4 wagon. no problem. bolts up rides good.

hope this is helpfull.

Prices are excellent for the non-adjustable ones; I don't have a comparison on the gas adjust version. I couldn't find a listing for the Brat in the truck section, but I suspect the early GL 4WD wagon uses the same shock.

Folks,

I installed the gas-a-just KG4183A's last week-end and just installed the GR2 # 234028 on the driver's side. About to start on the right side. Purchased them from http://www.macsspring.com/

The KG4183A's are $33.35 each and the 234028's are $62.93 each. Plus shipping is free with over $100 purchases. Speak to Michael Wagenstein -

mike@macsspring.com

I think his prices are quite good. Now one question:

What is the torque specification for the strut piston nut. I know the others (two bolts to steering knuckle and the two bolts in the engine compartment all get torqued to 29 ft-lbs.

Regards,

aba4430

I was just checking the actual KYB application guide (which I downloaded a few weeks ago to look up the GR2s myself...it's a huge download...plus it's an actual Windows program, not a PDF file or anything :rolleyes: ) and you are right...the 87-89 4WD apps don't list a front. They do for the 87-89 2WD cars, though...isn't the front suspension the same between a FWD/4WD? I thought only the rear was different between the two drivetrains (or at least this is the case on the later Subarus like the Impreza and Legacy)?

After I had purchased the 234028 and KG4183A's, noted on the board that there was a difference (height adjustability) between the stock 4WD struts and the 234028's. So I wrote to KYB to be sure that the 234028's would fit my Brat. My text is copied below:

I have a 1987 Subaru Brat GL 4WD with dual range 4 speed manual transmission. I just installed your Gas-A-Just shocks (KG4183A). I also want to replace the front struts. What part number in the GR2 series will fit my truck?

The KYB response is copied below:

Use the KYB GR-2 series.

Front # is 234028, strut mounts are SM5365 and the boots are # SB103

Thank you for the inquiry!

Tim Oldiges

KYB America LLC

Product Manager

630-620-5555

E-Mail timkyb@attglobal.net

Regards,

aba4430

struts are the same, spring rates are different. If I can find the sus.jpg, i should beable to see that the rates are bigger with the 4wd. The only differences I could see with the 2wd vs 4wd rear...is again, spring rates. Although...the wagons always have the higher rate.

Here it is:

sus.jpg

Ok, looks like there not a difference between 2wd and 4wd...except for the RX. Hm...i do remember that the RX strut and the GL-10 strut were the same dimensions......the GL-10 had the original 2wd struts, and ofcourse, the RX has 4wd stuff.