Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want my EA81 to have HP! Anyone got links?

~Thank you so much !~ :clap:

I've got some VW buddies that are anxiously waiting to see what can be done with it, and I'm having a blast working on the lil' bugger ! Got my hands on a running EA81 with hydraulic lifters...Ive got the solid lifter engine disassembled, but I read a post here somewhere that the hydro. model can make more power...any thoughts?

And I'm also now extremely curious! Just what you did to have to do to get an EA82 in a BRAT? 'Cos I've got an '89 XT MPFI layin' around here somewhere-freshly rebuilt and only crashed once!:headbang:

Some might say it would be a downgrade...I would disagree completely, but then,I'm clearly not right in the head, building a HP EA81 ! :lol:

HAHA that last statement makes two of us. As for the hydro EA81, they have the slightly bigger valve heads so if your going to build a motor use the heads from a hydro motor. The block as i was told is also slightly beefier than a solid lifter motor though i have not had the two side by side. What i have heard is most common however is to use solid lifters in a hydro block. The thought behind this is that the lifters wont "bleed down" in the high RPMs and will continue to open the valves all the way. A bit more power at the expense of you having to go into the valve covers every 15-25k depending on how you drive.