Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How big of a deal is A/C?

So my 81 Brat has factory A/C in it. Dunno if it's functional, but the lines still have pressure. Since I put the 85 Brat radiator in it, there's no room left for a proper coolant reservoir. Add to that, the whole thing seems to be heavy as hell and I never use A/C.

So my question is, is factory air in this old of a Subbie special? Should I make a point to keep the system together and pass it on? Or should I just junk the whole thing and be happy for the weight loss?

If anybody's thinking I should keep the car original, don't. It's too rusted and beat up, the interior is too thrashed and I'd be silly to even think about a restoration.

when i was looking for my BRAT, I passed up the non-AC ones an waited it out til one with AC came along.........now with the lift kit on mine is not hooked up at this point. Most people will not really care yes or no on it. But I was one who was ready to wait, and even pay MORE for one with it still intact....

Edited by bheinen74

If anybody's thinking I should keep the car original, don't. It's too rusted and beat up, the interior is too thrashed and I'd be silly to even think about a restoration.

With this statement you kinda already answered your own question. Rip it out. It doesnt work anymore anyways guaranteed unless someone decided to fix the A/C recently. You will drop around 50 pounds of deadweight off the nose. Nothing you will feel but it cleans up the bay a good amount and makes working on the motor easier.

With this statement you kinda already answered your own question. Rip it out. It doesnt work anymore anyways guaranteed unless someone decided to fix the A/C recently. You will drop around 50 pounds of deadweight off the nose. Nothing you will feel but it cleans up the bay a good amount and makes working on the motor easier.

+1 ..I pulled the factory AC out of mine and it definitely makes a cleaner working area.

Yes please treat that AC with TLC. Someone will want it. Who knows? Maybe it would still work (the factory air in my '82 Brat does--Okay, okay-- did work, perfectly until a few weeks ago-- a wiring issue that I hope to deal with soon). Anyway, it could be a real find for someone.

In that case, can anybody describe any distinguishing characteristics that will help me determine which compressor I have? Apparently, there are two options, and I find no marking that label it as either one. Once I know which I have, I can purchase a belt and know how functional it is before I pull it out.

The thing still has pressure, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if it does still work, and I'm sure anybody looking for A/C would be interested in knowing that it does work.

That said, perhaps I should announce that I have a gen 1 air conditioning system that I'm willing to part with.

If you are going to use this as a daily driver, I would keep the AC, you never know when you might have to use it for yourself because weather turns to hot for you, or if you might carry your grandparent to the doctor or something and want to keep them comfortable while keeping yourself comfy at the same time.

Now if you are going to raise it, and use it offroad only, with a bit of daily driver, than I would probly ditch the system.

Me personally, I wont buy a car that doesnt have AC. Everything I drive is a daily driver, and I cant/wont deal with heat.