Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idiot Light in '09 Impreza

I was extremely disappointed to see an "idiot" light instead of an honest-to-god engine temperature gauge in my GF's '09 Impreza. Any all aluminum engine absolutely requires a temperature gauge. Let's face it, the 2.5L doesn't exactly have an unblemished record when it comes head gasket failure and overheating. With a temp gauge, you might be able to limp back home. The permanent damage has probably already occurred by the time the light goes on. Sure, I can install an after market temperature gauge in her car, but I shouldn't have to. This is another example of Subrau cheapening up and dumbing down their cars. It's a piety.

Edited by The Dude

You know..all this has been brought up about the new design for the past 2 years now. The WRX and STis have the temp guage...and many other makers have been using the idiot light for years now. I am sorry to say..but with all the complaints about the car..why not have her turn it back in or sell it.

I know quite a few people who have bought them and have the same views as myself.. we love them even though it is the Econo-box of the subaru line up.

And so you know.. depending on the color...the cars have paint issues..all of which have been addressed over in NASIOC....along with every other issue people have had.

Edited by Bucky92

Honestly who cares. Ill bet that light will catch your attention alot faster then your guage moving. With my 94 SS i was on the highway and my waterpump was leaking for a bit and then I noticed after who knows the gauge was pointing at H. Atleast if a nice red light turned on it would have caught my attention alot sooner. I think there are to many complaints people have with new cars. Honestly they drive, they are reliable the 09 N/A 2.5's should be fine the headgasket issues were resolved years ago. They are alot more roomy so complaints about bulkiness is stupid either small car or roomy car. Drive by wire doesn't give up response but saves us plenty gas I am sure since it puts less of a load taking off.

There are alot of things we could argue about all new cars, but the fact of the matter is they technically are offering more room, very reliable, more user friendly and based solely on getting you there safely, in a quiet fuel efficient manner... Atleast we still have a Boxer motor and a decent AWD system...

I have to say...+1 on this... I like everything better about my 08 Imp then my 95 Legacy.. 32+ mpg .. roomier...more responsive...and its the base model..cant get any more stripped down( except if I would have bought the sedan) I have taken mine on many long hauls(1400 miles to FL then 1400 miles back). Like I stated.. have owned mine for 2 years without any issues.... over 41K miles on it. I wouldnt trade mine for anything...the legacy on the other hand...

Seems many forget also..the Impreza 2.5i is the bottom of the line car that Subaru sends here..and for the same price you could get a Focus and not have the AWD.

Honestly who cares. Ill bet that light will catch your attention alot faster then your guage moving. With my 94 SS i was on the highway and my waterpump was leaking for a bit and then I noticed after who knows the gauge was pointing at H. Atleast if a nice red light turned on it would have caught my attention alot sooner. I think there are to many complaints people have with new cars. Honestly they drive, they are reliable the 09 N/A 2.5's should be fine the headgasket issues were resolved years ago. They are alot more roomy so complaints about bulkiness is stupid either small car or roomy car. Drive by wire doesn't give up response but saves us plenty gas I am sure since it puts less of a load taking off.

There are alot of things we could argue about all new cars, but the fact of the matter is they technically are offering more room, very reliable, more user friendly and based solely on getting you there safely, in a quiet fuel efficient manner... Atleast we still have a Boxer motor and a decent AWD system...