Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunk in the front end

Ok so here is what is new and what i have checked

New drivers and passenger axles within the last 10k miles

New struts

Ball joints are tight

Wheel bears seem to be tight as well (jacked it up and tried to wiggle it around)

Top of the struts are tight as well. The only thing that has bit of play to it now is the my steering rack. The passenger boot is torn on it and there is a tad bit of play in it up and down when it was on a lift. Could this be causing a clunk when i go over bumps just right and when i let the clutch out in first sometimes?

were the top strut mounts used or sitting for awhile? i had the same thing happen to my "new" struts I installed. the top mounts had been sitting for awhile and had some rust in them, causing clunking. i shot some grease down into the bearings with a needle fitting ($2 at the auto parts store) on my grease gun and it's basically all quiet now.

Top hats are original to the car. Ive had them on and off a couple of times now in my quest to get the passenger side and driver side more equal. What it really comes down to is i need new springs too...just dont have the cash. Should i pull apart that passenger hat and put some grease in the moving parts?