Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird modification to heads

Hi there,

Thanks to 99obw and all the other contributors for their classic thread on head gaskets.

I'm going down the same road with my 97 Outback. I bought it a year ago in Maine from a used-car dealer who purchased it in Pennsylvania, drove it up, and "had the whole engine resealed." I knew almost nothing about engines at the time so I believed him with relief, thinking it would be a while before I ran into the dreaded HG problem. Pretty soon after purchase I noticed coolant levels in the overflow tank dropping all the time but could never find a leak in the system. No overheat, no problem, right? Until a couple of weeks ago, when a head gasket finally gasped its last dying breath. It seems obvious that this dealer's mechanic is either inept or the dealer is just a sleazeball (well, that's actually definitely true. He sold me the car with a key broken off in the driver's lock :rolleyes:). The really interesting part is the condition of the heads. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0IRMm5ZN2PxyRGW3KF6r8g?authkey=Gv1sRgCN7mr8fWgoyQzwE&feat=directlink

The left side head has the same cutouts on the back! Should I be freaking out, or what? :eek:

Sean