Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 vented rotors..first year

No,, it don't work so well to mix solid-vented brake parts.

Whoever the former owner of my '86 BRAT was, (before 86subaru bought it), swapped in an older solid-lifter motor. No problem there.

But,,,,, they also swapped a solid rotor onto the PS keeping the vented caliper in place..

Worked ok, until the brake pads wore down. Then it decided to chuck the outer pad out of the bracket when I hit the brakes. :eek:

Luckily, I was just a few hundred yards from the driveway when that happened. 4 year old Grandson and I made home with no issues.

I promtly put the correct parts back on....

Worked ok, until the brake pads wore down. Then it decided to chuck the outer pad out of the bracket when I hit the brakes. :eek:

Yeah, that is a flaw in the Design of the vented caliper and pads. I had the same thing happen on 2 different 84 EA81s, both still with original vented rotors.. The bracket is just a bad design, it allows the pad to slip out when it gets to thin and worn.

MAking sure you have ALL the little sheet metal clips and spacers in the brackets helps alot. They are cheap.....it is just getting the counter guy at the dealership to look at the old parts books.....:rolleyes:

No,, it don't work so well to mix solid-vented brake parts.

Whoever the former owner of my '86 BRAT was, (before 86subaru bought it), swapped in an older solid-lifter motor. No problem there.

But,,,,, they also swapped a solid rotor onto the PS keeping the vented caliper in place..

Luckily, I was just a few hundred yards from the driveway when that happened. 4 year old Grandson and I made home with no issues.

I promtly put the correct parts back on....

Not sure i understand this. I was never intending on mixing and matching parts. I was going to get vented disk brake calipers as well as vented rotors so that i have the whole vented package. I just needed the years that i could ask for to get the correct parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1267725,parttype,1704

Those 1st 2 are what I bought for mine, doesn't matter that they say for A/T, they fit.

Vented rotors are $22.XX or $12.XX on close-out.

My previous post wasn't directed at you. I was merely commenting on the mix-n-match that was brought up. It don't work to well....

Should be fine - this is an EA81 after all - and a 2WD one at that. Light car, 75 HP..... not exactly a performance machine. Any of the availible offerings should do you just fine unless you drag on the brakes all the time or drive like grandma - if you compression brake like you should, rarely use them on the freeway/highway like you should - they will outlast the car.

GD