Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy automatic

First...I have torque bind

Here's the dilemma tho...I have a rythmic groaning sound like a bad bearing

Can here is at 5- 10 MPH and up. It's very pronounced (bought car this way). Makes the sound going straight and moving steering wheel to left...turn it right a bit and it subsides some

So i'm gueesing a wheel bearing

recent posts suggest grabbing the tire at top and bottom ...pulling top and pushing bottom simultaneousy and vice versa....I get no movement

So I try spinning both front wheels to hear something...brake pads make it confusing so i remove and put tires on and spin...both wheels sound similar...not sure they sound abnormal...but I don't know what normal should sound like

Looks like both axles are tightened the same (as looking from behind the wheel)

Being bewildered...I come up with an idea that is sure to work

I take a 5" diameter plastic funnel and a plastic hose to use it to listen while I drive. I listened to the outer CV/hub area....no rythmic sounds with hose to my ear (yet I can hear the sound with my other ear). I move it to the inner CV...then do same on other side....nothing!

I say to myself...could it somehow be the rear? no because sound changes as I rotate steering wheel

I am lost

I don't want to waste effort and money without some degree of certainty...?

a while back some one suggested jacking up the wheel in question and rotating it by hand while resting your other hand on the coil spring.

i have also heard that the wiggle waggle test is not conclusive in these cars unless the wheel is about to fall off.

but i have not tried either one so i don't really know.

try the hand on the spring.....

Ok first of all wheel bearing are real hard to nail down.

They are making the sound when the entire weight of the car+you+buddies is on them.

Yes it could be from the back...as you turn the wheel from side to side you are shifting weight from one side of car to the other.

The best way to test a wheelbearing is to remove the cv joint so you can feel/hear the bearing minus the transmission etc. grab one of the wheel studs and spin the hub as fast as you can. if the bearing is bad you will most likely hear or feel it>> either gravely sound or you wil feel catches in the rotation.

Even after all this it still might feel good and be bad. Have someone drive and move around car to see if you can hear where its coming from. I have gone as far as to have a buddy drive the car and I hold on to car and skateboard next to it (dangerous but effective).

DONT BE FOOLED - a bad tire (cupped) can cause a very very similar noise. I replaced a rear bearing on my first subaru legacy... turned out to be the tire :mad: I dont even replace teh bearings now. I go to teh junkyards and get the whole spindles waaaay cheaper/faster.

Try the finger on the hub as you turn the wheel, it works better than a finger on the spring. Since you can hear it at low speed it should be quite obvious.

Try running up to about fifty miles an hour then swerving moderatly hard from left and right. If the sound gets noticably louder then it will be a wheel bearing rather than diff or cv joint. It will get louder when the weight of the car goes on the crook bearing. If it gets louder in both directions you may have two crook bearings.

Disconnecting the cvs to turn the wheel will not be a good idea because the axle nut holds the bearings in place and keeps a little pretension on them.

Try the finger on the hub as you turn the wheel, it works better than a finger on the spring. Since you can hear it at low speed it should be quite obvious.

Try running up to about fifty miles an hour then swerving moderatly hard from left and right. If the sound gets noticably louder then it will be a wheel bearing rather than diff or cv joint. It will get louder when the weight of the car goes on the crook bearing. If it gets louder in both directions you may have two crook bearings.

Disconnecting the cvs to turn the wheel will not be a good idea because the axle nut holds the bearings in place and keeps a little pretension on them.

Log

the only flaw in your statement was my test using the funnel with the tube in my ear...I did this at 0-45 MPH right at both hubs....the rythmic sound was not audible.....yet it definitely is affected by the turning of the wheel (gets loud or quieter)...sort of sounds front/middle

Even if it is a bearing...figuring out which side is the hard part

I am trying to avoid danger,,, laying across the open hood and listen while someone else drives about 10MPH...hahaha