Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 sub legacy. cel went on when car started skipping, hesitating and loss of power.comp. read po306(no 2 cyl misfire).pulled both o2 sensors and they tested fine. car ran fine for another week,no problems.this morning same thing happened. car symptoms returned and cel light reappeared.could problem be the knock sensor and if so where is it located? don't have a clue. thanks for reply.

Don't know why you'd pull O2 sensors for this code.

The knock sensor - is easy. I highly recommend you learn the search function.

But basically open hood, stand at the drivers front wheel, bend over. Just before the throttle body down on the engine you'll see it.

A black round thing about 1" around with a bolt in the middle.

Seaqrch for the instructions. There is some science to the route the cable attached to it take it seems. So you want to note how it is now. It also doesn't take much torque - again - search is your friend.

Whether it's your issue or not I don't know.

Only one cylinder misfire and not the accompanying cylinder?

1995 sub legacy. cel went on when car started skipping, hesitating and loss of power.comp. read po306(no 2 cyl misfire).pulled both o2 sensors and they tested fine. car ran fine for another week,no problems.this morning same thing happened. car symptoms returned and cel light reappeared.could problem be the knock sensor and if so where is it located? don't have a clue. thanks for reply.

what was the weather like? wet / dry?

when was the last time you changed your plug wires? plugs?

was the 0302 code the only one?

did the check engine light blink when it first came on?

As has been hinted at here, you really should be looking at anything that will cause a missfire on one cylinder. So it almost certainly won't be O2 or knock sensors. Plugs, leads, compressions, injector. Those are the logical things to check first. Most of the other things will cause trouble codes of their own or they will cause multiple missfire codes.

agree with others, if the plugs and wires are old, replace them. CEL code of missfire on cyl #2 is not a sign of a bad knock sensor.

I had a bad knock sensor some time back. Car ran okay, but was down on power and fuel economy, as I think the computer retards the spark, when the knock sensor is bad. That is not the same thing as missfire on cyl #2