Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was going to get the General's, but the Falken 912's were known to be much better and cheaper. I like mine, they have a cool tread to, overall they have good grip in rain, and well see how they run in the snow soon. They are a bit more warn now, but I did track the car as well. :lol:

04182009623.jpg

I've had they for a while on my VW diesel.

When they were new (a year or so ago) Tirerack had a deal and a rebate on them do I bought my first ever tires from Tirerack.

They have been good. Due to other issues I had to rotate them one time and the rears are too unevenly worn to re-rotate so they are all gonna die where they are.

Very good on rainy roads.

They have 25k on them and are wearing about as I'd expect (other than the abnormal wear which isn't their fault). The 01 VW Golf isn't really a very small or light car.

Overall I've been pretty happy with them. And am debating about getting new tires for winter since it looks like I'll be traveling a bit. If the roads really get bad I take my AWD Astro Van.

So these have been good, but I don't know what I'll get next. The Promo was General Altimax HP 91H’s fom tirerack 232 + 42 shipping then a 50.00 visa card rebate for 195/65/15's on 7/10/8. YMMV (literally)

Edited by davebugs
Forgot word "rebate"

I was going to get the General's, but the Falken 912's were known to be much better and cheaper. I like mine, they have a cool tread to, overall they have good grip in rain, and well see how they run in the snow soon. They are a bit more warn now, but I did track the car as well. :lol:

04182009623.jpg

Where'd you find a comparison between the Falkens and the Generals?

Which 912 did you get? UHP or HP or something else?

I hope these are good in the snow considering where you live ey?

Not sure which 912's I got ill have to look on the tire thought they were all the same. I just compared peoples personal reviews on the internet and friends locally, and tread wear and descriptions from both tire manufactures. Supposedly they are rated for 110,000km. Also really liked the tread, a interesting tread always buys me! Seemed like the altimax hp would fair better in rain, but not sure about snow, the tread on the 912's looked to have some similarities to a winter tire design I guess you could say. Main main issue was the price difference for me locally. Check out tirerack, sounds like the folks here llike them. I might give them a go when I got 16" to compare exactly.

Guys with Altimax's how do you find the sidewall flex?

If they don't work out good in the snow I will just get some hanook w409's (I think thats the model?)

Edited by ericem

Mine are 195/65 15's so they aren't as tall as the 205/70/15's on the OBW's.

I usually set cruise about 90 on I80.

Lots of windy roads arounds here (hills and all) and VW's handle good to begin with(one of the reasons I drive them), and it usually gets driven "spirited". I haven't noticed a sidewall issue at all. And now that I think about someone else's comment about them being quiet - I think they are. Compared to the prior Goodyears, I can't recall about versus the OEM Continentals, and I forget everything inbetween.

I run hydroedge on my outback, but have altimax HP on a Ford Focus, 45 series 17's, same tread pattern as you would be considering. They are good in rain, as good as any all season tires I have had in snow, and are quiet and appear to be wearing well. They are extremely responsive, and it handles as well as it did on performance rated summer tread. Mine at least were made in France and very high quality appearance I like them a lot.

Stopping distance shouldn't have anything to do with the speed rating. :confused: I see how it could be affected if you go so fast the tire blows out and then try to stop. :lol:

I thought the Traction Rating of the tire is how stopping distance is measured?

But I'm no expert on government tire grading scales. Where did you read this?

I should have mentioned regarding the hydroedge on my Outback, the first set went about 65,000 miles, which is about as good as you are going to get on a Subaru, and these tires also do everything very well. They were quiet and the rain traction held up to the end of tread life. The snow performance slipped some when the tread started to get thin, but with AWD we got around through the normal light stuff you normally see just fine. The Altimax have superior sports car handling ability, but if you don't need that, the Hydroedge may be the best tire you can get for an Outback.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Traction ratings are A for BFG Traction TA/T and the original equipment. Aside from the lower speed rating of T versus V, the BF Goodrich Traction TA/T also has a B temperature rating compared to the original A rating. Wear rating is much better for BFGs.

There are warnings not to downgrade this rating when replacing tires.

More comments??

Coincidentally, I also have a set of goodrich traction t/a t rated tires 205/55/16 on a PT cruiser I own. I like the tires for what they cost. If you look at tire rack, they offer reviews and what they call an overview of various tires. The T/A T rated is all good to excellent in the overview in all categories, with mostly good owner reviews. The T/A S rated is the OEM spec tire, and has average ratings in the overview with most reviewers disliking the tires. My experience with the T/A T is that they are quiet and good in snow and rain. They are wearing a bit faster than I expected, and they do not have the high traction performance of the Altimax. I am comparing my personal 45 series tires to my personal 55 series tires, but am pretty sure the Altimax has a higher performance potential by design. They are more expensive, so you can decide what they are worth to you. There is an amazing amount of info at Tire Rack if you want to do more research.

This thread caused me to visit tirerack last night. For my size (195/65/15) the Altimax's were rated #2 and were 63.00, the #1 rated tire just beat it and was 110.00. I'm thinking of getting more of them to rotate in with the 4 that I have with abnormal wear due to other issues with the car that have since been fixed (althought the new tierods today will help).

Gotta love how tire companies marketing tactics for the past several years is trying to force a person to buy 4 winter tires for non AWD/4WD cars.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm leaning toward the Altimax's for my 05 Outback. I have Triple Treads on my wife's 10 Forester (they were on our 08 Outback first) and they are all they were advertised to be including loud. I had Traction T/As on my 97 Outback and they were a great tyre for the price and on a 97 outback who cares about noisy or not :). I'm 95% to the Altimax's so If anyone else has any more experience with them I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, Tim

Considering they don't make the HP in 175/70/14 that my car requires I have run the RT version of the tire. Same basic tire but non-directional. They are both 440AA tires. Personally I don't like them for anything but dry pavement. Due to a college students budget I buy the cheaper tires instead of the ones I would really like to have. The traction isn't there for me, then again I do drive a front wheel drive impreza.

I have those General Altimax tires on my Chevy S10 pickup. They were on it when I bought it. I've never had problems with them, they have good traction in the rain, and even in the snow which surprised me! The first winter I had this truck(before I bought my 96 Legacy), it was my only transportation. I just had to put weight in the bed during the winter to give better traction, but that's with any 2wd truck...