Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Recommendations/Experience

Starting a new post. :horse:

225/55/17

Falken 912 $85

General Altimax HP $108

Original Bridgestones (not really considering these) $121

Goodyear Triple Tred $144

I found the GY Triple Treds noisy on my wife's 05 OB so I was looking for a quieter option.

Altimax has same overall rating on Tirerack.com as the pricey Triple Treds

but Tirerack doesn't carry or compare Falken (suggested by a board member) with the others SO...

Waddayathink?

Generals are not great tires in my experience. Bridgestone I've had luck with but they tend to be noisy. Anything Goodyear or Michelin is just not worth the money. Falkens seem to get a good rap but they wear out fast and they're usually pretty loud.

I've installed two sets of BFGoodrich Traction T/A tires recently. One for my sisters car, one for a friend of mine. Both of them have been very pleased. Got them on sale through tire rack. My sister drives like 25k a year, they've been on her car about a year now and they still have about 3/4 of the tread left. No balance issues, and they are fairly quiet on the highway. Fairly quiet because it's on a Corolla, it's not gonna be but so quiet on a corolla. :-p

I'm thinking I'll probably get a set of these for my Legacy when the time comes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Traction+T%2FA+T&partnum=255TR7TTAT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I love my BFG TA's. This is my second set on Blu. I live in NY so we see all kinds of weather and they havent slipped yet.

nipper

Hey Nipper,

I got the GY Triple Treds for my wife's 05 OB because I thought you had recommended them. Did you ever own the GY Triple Treds??

If not, it must have been my misunderstanding. Tirerack has the BFG TAs for $116.

Which version TA did you get? Was it the Traction as above?

We live in CT.

Edited by brus brother

I dunno which ones you're looking at. The ones I linked are $90 each, that was the only ones I could find in the size you listed.

What year and model are these going on?

Fairtax,

Thanks for the link. They were not showing up in my search. Through your link, Tirerack reports they will be available 10/3 from my local warehouse. I can wait a few days for these. Seems like a good deal.

I have an 08 OB. The tires only have 35K 6/32 tread remaining but one has a small cut that has frayed the belt. Drats!

I have a 98 Civic. My previous 89 Civic was good in snow. The 98 came with OEM Firestones. It was dangerous in the snow, a real disappointment. I went to Mastercrafts with some improvement but then to the BFG Traction TA! What a difference! When the OEM Potenzas come off my 98 OBS(yeah original tires as the car has low miles) BFG Traction TAs are going on. Sears has them and Townfair has the pricematch. Read the reviews at Tire Rack, plenty of Suby and Honda owners swear by them. Check out the rating charts too. I live near Waterbury and all uphill from town. I have no complaints on the TAs.

Fairtax,

Thanks for the link. They were not showing up in my search. Through your link, Tirerack reports they will be available 10/3 from my local warehouse. I can wait a few days for these. Seems like a good deal.

I have an 08 OB. The tires only have 35K 6/32 tread remaining but one has a small cut that has frayed the belt. Drats!

I searched your car and they didn't come up. My guess would be because the speed rating is lower than the factory rubber. But honestly... are you ever going to go over 118 mph?

When the OEM Potenzas come off my 98 OBS(yeah original tires as the car has low miles) BFG Traction TAs are going on.

You're comfortable riding on tires that are 11 years old? :eek:

Edited by Fairtax4me