Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moyie Mud Springs fall 2009

Uberoo

I am trying like all hell to have my EA81 subaru toy ready for Moyie Mud Bogs fall 2009.Its oct 9-10.So next friday and saturday .Its up in Moyie Springs, ID. I just have a few things to do to my offroad toy before I go, like: mount up 235/75/15 mud tires rather than my all seasons/snow tires, weld rear diff.Wire in radiator fans, replace my door handle and window,and find some sort of mesh to go in front of my front mounted radiator fans,that and install hood pins. All the while I will be attending college full time.Then I will also help a friend install a new transmission in his ranger so he can go..

So anyone else going up there?I see a ton of big fullsize stuff running the mud bogs.I even saw a beat up legacy with no doors,hood,and hatch running, but no lifted roos.A couple of cars on 4x4 frames,etc..

I know but the way you put it...

Any pics of the vehicle in question that you will be up in?That way I could know what to look for?

mine probally will be the only one up there like it. silver lifted wagon,235's, 4 lights on the roof, light green driver side doors,not alot of straight panels,etc

I went up. I don't know if 86hatchshelby was able to come up.If he did we didnt see each other.

I had lots of fun.When I pulled up with the subaru everyone was saying how awesome it was.A few people didnt believe it would do very well.after a couple of runs through the mud pit everyone was very impressed with it.Right off the bat I started going through the deepest holes(35" and under would get stuck).I never had alot of speed going into the mud like some people.I would always go slow until I got to the mud then floor it.Only got stuck once. the excavation equipment went and pushed all of the "wet cement" back into the middle of the pit.Up in Moyie all the mud is "diverence mud" it has alot of sand, so when wet it has the consistancy of wet cement,when its dry it pretty much is cement. So after they moved all that stuff back into the pit i tried to drive through it.Made it about 1/2 way through it before the combination of dragging the belly through it and my low horsepower caught up to me. I just didnt have the power to keep the tires spining in that deep, thick stuff, so I eventually bogged down and that was it.I tried to go forwards and backwards but the glue/wet cement like mud held me in tight.Had to get pulled out...I would have made it if I allowed some other rigs to make tracks for me to follow but ohwell...:lol:

Damage report:

*didnt run a hood so engine is caked in mud

*got rear ended by a V8 toyota because I wasnt going fast enough,just clipped the RR taillight housing,but I didnt even have a taillight there so oh well...

* both front tires decided to start leaking air,one had a leaking valvestem other had so much mud packed in the bead it wouldnt seal anymore.Had to run into town to get those fixed.

*ripped that piece of tubing under the stock bumber off,tried to hook onto it to get pulled out.didnt work.Spent couple minutes digging in the cement for the tow points...

*one the way home the chain binder holding the rear chain tight came loose,then the car started bouncing/slidding over.Ended up rubbing the RR tire against the tire on the trailer.Both tires went flat. ended up finding a spare tire to use for the trailer that was old and very dry rotted.Drove the 190 miles home at 55 MPH.It sucked but I was able to get home

Solutions:

EJ swap

Weld rear diff

I suppose I could put a hood on if I run an EJ

Build steel bumpers with built in tow points.Front and rear.\

I will get pics posted up later from my camera.Right now I need to start getting all of the mud off the car.BTW after about 3 runs through the pit my car was BROWN.For some reason it really coats itself good with mud,it doesnt have a lot of power,its tires arnt that argressive and they don't stick out very far but it flings mud on itself like no other...

I dont have any action pics of the subaru itself,but a couple people were video tapping so hopefully they will post on youtube soon..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone cares I found a video of Moyie springs. I am in it at about 2.55. In the video it shows me getting a "push" from that v8 toyota.It didn't show it but after the push I made it out just fine.Although I definatly need an EJ.

Anyone want to buy a nice running EA81 with bad carb?It has great oil pressure...

Any way here is the video.It would have been better if I just stormed though it like I did every other pass.Figures, every time it gets videoed I do poorly...