Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, living in Alaska and the snow is about to come, I'm thinking to add some light on my OBS. I am battling between the OEM that mounts in the bracket under the headlight, or go with those after market ones that mount on the bumper.

Anyone can give me some insight?

Appreciated!

Vincent

Both locations will work. Using OEM type that mount in the bracket under the headlights would "look" more integrated into the over all design of the car, and maybe protected better by the bumper. If it were me, I would see if I could get some good after market units that would bolt in where the OEMs would go, prolly cost less then OEMs, and may work better, or at least as well as OEMs.

I would probably go with something that will mount in the OEM location. Usually, you add fog lights for low-visibility situations and having the lights lower to the ground will help you with increased contrast. Also, consider using HID lighting in the 3000K range for color temp. 3000K will give you a bright yellow color that will also help give you higher contrast particularly at night in the snow. The bright yellow color also means that oncoming traffic is more likely to have a better chance at spotting you than with just white driving lights. Personally, I'd check the wrecking yards to see about scoring some OEM lights. Otherwise, there are some really EXCELLENT aftermarket options available. VisionX makes some good ones as does Hella. Both of those names will cost you some coin, though. Don't just go down to the local auto parts store and pick up the little cheap lights. They look snazzy, but don't stand up very well to ANY abuse. That includes low temps and occasional encounters with heavy snow. Somehow, I suspect you'll have both of those problems in AK and that means you'll not be happy with the cheapies.

I would probably go with something that will mount in the OEM location. Usually, you add fog lights for low-visibility situations and having the lights lower to the ground will help you with increased contrast. Also, consider using HID lighting in the 3000K range for color temp. 3000K will give you a bright yellow color that will also help give you higher contrast particularly at night in the snow. The bright yellow color also means that oncoming traffic is more likely to have a better chance at spotting you than with just white driving lights. Personally, I'd check the wrecking yards to see about scoring some OEM lights. Otherwise, there are some really EXCELLENT aftermarket options available. VisionX makes some good ones as does Hella. Both of those names will cost you some coin, though. Don't just go down to the local auto parts store and pick up the little cheap lights. They look snazzy, but don't stand up very well to ANY abuse. That includes low temps and occasional encounters with heavy snow. Somehow, I suspect you'll have both of those problems in AK and that means you'll not be happy with the cheapies.

Ya I was thinking about the Hella 500 Driving/Fog light.

I was also thinking about converting the headlight to HID but after some researches, I found my lens are probly not good for it (I have the OEM).

I might just go with the AUX light:grin:

Ya I was thinking about the Hella 500 Driving/Fog light.

I was also thinking about converting the headlight to HID but after some researches, I found my lens are probly not good for it (I have the OEM).

I might just go with the AUX light:grin:

99-01 lights will bolt in and look great with HIDs.

http://i39.tinypic.com/24fbiud.jpg

99-01 lights will bolt in and look great with HIDs.

http://i39.tinypic.com/24fbiud.jpg

Huh, I thought my lens are not "clean" enough for HIDs as I was reading some posts regarding HIDs in Loyale. Or am I making things up in my mind? I definitely don't wanna blind on coming tfc nor when people look at mirrors since it's always dark here during winter.

98's have a different style headlight than that of 99-01s. Here is what they look like unmodified (My car):

10331_178114963227_504113227_3942716_3857992_n.jpg

The ones I posted that had the HID's had the housings blacked out. At the very least you could change out the headlights and get a set of high quality bulbs. They say going yellow on fog lights helps in inclement driving conditions. That is assuming you have the optional fog lights in your OBS.

98's have a different style headlight than that of 99-01s. Here is what they look like unmodified (My car):

10331_178114963227_504113227_3942716_3857992_n.jpg

The ones I posted that had the HID's had the housings blacked out. At the very least you could change out the headlights and get a set of high quality bulbs. They say going yellow on fog lights helps in inclement driving conditions. That is assuming you have the optional fog lights in your OBS.

My OBS does not has the OEM fog light.