Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new wheels --> tires and lift question

Maybe I have not been lucky. beat others to the 14" peugeot wheels. They have 205/70 R14 studded snows. My 85 Brat has 185/70/R13. turning the wheels in causes a major rub on fender problem. Question [1] If I do the 1" gain on the strut adjustment, will that be sufficient? Or should I go to a lift kit and if so how must lift do I need?

Question [2] If I throw away the 205/70 R14 tires, what tire should I mount that will guarantee to clear without a lift kit? And I don't like those real low profile tires. I would hate to discard the really good used tires. But lets see what you say the options are. If you suggest a new different tire size to clear the fronts, how ugly or stupid would it be to try and wear out these current snows on the back (where clearance is no problem)? Or is it an oxymoron that fronts and rears should be the same size (at least when 4WD is engaged)?

thx

Geo.

I ran 195/75/14 on my 87 Brat. Only minor rubbing when turning and hitting a bump at the same time. had to trim the inside of the front mud flaps. Quit after half the tread was wore off. I currently run the stock white spokes and 185/80/13, prefer the ride and having some of my performance back.

You cannot use 14" rims without installing a lift kit.

You should sell me those rims.

:lol:

I run 205/75/14's on my UNlifted brat, and i ran them on my stock Hatch also.

I'm really not sure why you're having problems with an even shorter sidewall height.

Look for rubbing marks...they scream "Beat the ************ outta me!"

You may need to do a lil' fender trimming too...

Adjusting the struts up can stop the rubbing but as soon as you flex it offroad it will rub again. Lifting puts blocks above the struts and so the wheel cannot travel far enough up to rub again. So you need a body lift kit.

But I agree with monstaru.. Search.......