Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl wagon backfires

so when shifting out of any gear it back fires, somtimes wont at lower rpms, and seems like if i shift fast enough it wont do it but the higher the rpms the louder. it started doing this after the catalitic convertor was cleaned out. It doesnt seam to have any leaks from the weld job. What could cause this?

i think ya oughta throw a cherry bomb on it, throw some stickers in the window and really make a statement! i like the whole backfire thing.....! :lol: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm............. bloaw!!

really though, runnin rich/timing ^^^^ these guys are right i'm pretty sure..

While richness and timing may be part of the problem - without oxygen there can be no combustion in the exhaust. He has leaks that are allowing in fresh air which mixes with the unburnt fuel and ignites in the exhaust.

Typically the backfireing can be solved simply by eliminating the ASV's - either by blocking them with a quarter or by welding up the holes in the spacers.

GD

i think ya oughta throw a cherry bomb on it, throw some stickers in the window and really make a statement! i like the whole backfire thing.....! :lol: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm............. bloaw!!

really though, runnin rich/timing ^^^^ these guys are right i'm pretty sure..

I used to drive a 74 VW Bug, UNBAFFLED Stinger (megaphone) Exhaust, Dual carbs ect. I would come down an off ramp, hit 2nd and you would think you were in a shootout! BBBRRRRRUUUHHHMMMMMMM.....POW....POW....POW..POW POW POW!!!

BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The two times cops pulled me over, I would just say "My baffle fell out the other day". Never was written a ticket

The ASV is the Air Suction Valve. If you look at the exhaust ports on the heads you will see a spacer with about a 3/4" diameter tube running out of it. Follow that up to the ASV. Unscrew the valve from the tube you just followed and put a quarter (yes - $0.25) inside the valve body and screw the tube back on. Do this to both sides if you have two valves. That will cure your backfireing.

GD