Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just wondering my tranny doesn't seem like it is grabbing initially . Planning a tranny swap but was wondering. I put like 5L of tranny fluid last time I did a oil change. Actually maybe more. Is that to much? I couldn't remember even checking the dipstick now that I think about it. What do you guys think? Its a 94 legacy turbo btw. Thanks!

Kind of wanted to save the tranny if I could and just replace the rear housing and clutches since it would be alot cheaper then replacing the whole tranny, but what has to be done has to be done!

Check the fluid level. How much you needed to put in can vary on how much got drained out. A normal drain and fill takes about 3.9 quarts. Your 5 liters (about 5.3 quarts) is quite a bit of fluid.

Dan

The A/T dip stick is calibrated in that the low to high hash mark is a pint. Sounds like you need to drain a little more than a quart to reduce over fill. Check AT level with engine running, trany in Park, engine warmed up to operating temp, and car on level pavement.

Changed the fluid! Tranny is definitely quiet again and has nice shifts. Yet if I floor it rolling at above 60 km/h will rev to almost 6k then start to grab. Sometimes won't do it. Regardless will drive for a week. If problems are still there going to swap the whole tranny with a good one.

Changed the fluid! Tranny is definitely quiet again and has nice shifts. Yet if I floor it rolling at above 60 km/h will rev to almost 6k then start to grab. Sometimes won't do it. Regardless will drive for a week. If problems are still there going to swap the whole tranny with a good one.

I bet if you babied the trany, it will still last you for a good long time.