Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle cluster&^@% please help! Updated

Yeah, the gouge is from the roll pin as was stated. Looks like Schucks gave you an axle for a Turbo, which is 25 spline, you need one for a non-turbo, which is 23 spline. The correct axle will still seat on the splines fine, just get a small file and clean up the gouged area so the new axle can slide over the stub's splines without hanging up on a burr from the gouge. It will be fine.

-Bill

Your mechanic installed the part you bought, but didn't know that there were two different parts available. He probably thought "hm, this car's harder to work on than some others..."

Probably best to just chalk this up to a lesson learned by everyone. Good luck with your car.

Your mechanic installed the part you bought, but didn't know that there were two different parts available.

I still partially blame the guy who installed it. He was the one with hands on the part and hands on the car. If I'm given a part to install by an owner of a car who is obviously not capable of, or willing to, install it themselves then I inspect both the part and the car for suitibility. As soon as you slip a 25 spline cup over a 23 spline stub it should be obvious that the fit is not right for a spline style machined fit. The diameter is all wrong on the cup splines and there's a LOT of play. At the very least he should have looked at the other axle, seen an obvious difference and stopped right there.

GD