Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seals

depends on your skill level. i think it's easy. other folks wouldn't attempt it if you offered cash.

you have to remove the timing belts to get to them. reseal the oil pump while you're doing it since it's right in front of you once the belts are off. replacing the water pump is smart too since it also requires removing the timing belt.

We just replaced ours head gaskets in our EA82 have some mechanical experiance but not a mechanic. seemed to turn out just fine. took 2 evenings after work to finish it. Managed to replace the head gaskets without taking out the block not that it was fun.. but... got the job done. 1st time for us doing it. just make sure you read up before you start. The timing was the hardest but we looked at a diagram with photos online and it made it a piece of cake. and I agree with grossgary replace anything related to the timing belts while you are at it. We made the mistake of replacing our oil pump, then later our timing belts snapped, so we had to replace it, then our head gaskets went. unless you want to get good at timing.....

How easy is it to change the cam seals and crank seal on a ea 82

More time consuming then anything.... On the crank seal I used a 1-1/2" or 2" abs plastic fitting against the seal and used a long steel bar to press against fitting... I slid bar between motor and radiator and secured one end with my foot and pushed on upper bar with hand or lower bar with foot to push in new seal to flush with motor... noob way of doing it I am sure but it worked...

The cams were easy... surprised even me... then putting it all back together... I didn't have a tension setter 19ft pounds on tensioner I think... so I used the calibrated elbow....

You should be fine... just the time problem if only rig.