Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do about oil light?

Hello everyone,

Recently, I believe due to being down a quart of oil, my radiator cracked, and was replaced, and oil was topped off. However, shortly after the fixes. I noticed the oil pressure light was on. I have read the manual, and it recommends not to drive it, and take it to the dealer immediately. I was just wondering what they might find, and what to kind of price to expect to have this issue corrected. Or if I can do it my self. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Uber125

What is the car?

If the oil pressure light is on, it means you have insufficient oil pressure -- which could destroy the engine in a matter of minutes. It could be the guage has failed, in which case it might not be that much, but if it really has no oil pressure and it the oil level is full, and you haven't run the engine for more than a few minutes since it came on, then it might need a new oil pump -- at least several hundred dollars to replace that because you have to take of the entire timing belt assembly before you can get to it -- a bit of labor. If you've run the engine very long with no oil pressure, you'll need a new engine.

What exactly happened? I don't see how the oil being low (a quart low is not enough to cause any problems in most subaru's I've owned, and even two quarts low is still okay, though it's right at the edge) could have affected the radiator.

The oil was a quart low or only one quart of oil was left in the engine?! :confused:

Low oil does not cause the radiator to crack. Oil has NOTHING to do with the radiator.

Cracked radiator can lead to overheating though, and when done properly ( too hot) overheating can cause damage to the bearings and will result in low oil pressure.

One quart of oil left in the engine, can also cause damage to the bearings (oil starvation), or the oil pump which will also result in low oil pressure.

Other possibilities are sludge in the engine, a clogged oil filter, clogged pickup screen, or just a faulty sender unit. But whatever the cause, you shouldn't drive it. Have it towed to a shop or the dealer and have it diagnosed.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

The car is a 2002 Impreza WRX, 2.0.

The motor was down one quart of oil not 1 qt. left in the motor. I was just assuming since the motor was down a qt. of oil, it may have caused the radiator to crack, due to overheating the coolant. Also, I have driven it about 10 miles since I noticed the light was on. It seems to run fine, but I don't want to push it and find out.

Are there any way(s) I can test for low oil pressure, or test the sensor?

Edited by Uber125

oil pressure can be tested, probably best left to a professional with the equipment/tools. dash gauges are not known for being the most accurate things in the world but i definitely wouldn't ignore this one.

1 qt of oil did absolutely nothing to anything.

how long have you been loosing oil and how much per 1,000 miles?

how long ago did the oil light come on and was it associated with anything else?

any other work to the car?

i'd plan on having the oil pump resealed if you have no other options. just plan on a timing belt job and have the pump resealed while you're at it since the tbelts have to come off to do that.

The motor was down one quart of oil not 1 qt. left in the motor. I was just assuming since the motor was down a qt. of oil, it may have caused the radiator to crack, due to overheating the coolant.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

The cracked radiator would have caused the overheating condition. There can be many factors that lead to a radiator cracking, but low oil is not one of them. Oil contamination in the coolant or oil spillage on the outside of the radiator could cause the plastic to deteriorate.

Again, I would take the car to a shop and have it diagnosed before you attempt to drive it any more. It may be something simple like a sensor, or an easy fix such as a new oil pump. But running the engine with low oil pressure will eventually destroy the bearings, and the piston rings, and score the cylinder walls. Then you would pretty much need a new motor.

Overheating can lead to ruining the bearings and causing the oil light to be on.

Just depends upon what over heating actually happened.

Don't drive the car, have a shop look at it, or connect a low range oil pressure gauge (mechanical) to the engine.

This may be a 25.00 pressure switch or something that is correctable and less then the cost of a new engine.

Dont take the chance, tow it to a shop.

nipper