Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt slip??

So from what I understand the timing marks on the camshaft cogs should be 180 degrees out from another. I just got this car and was told the timing belt was done semi-recently.

Then, the other day she just dies and it seemed alot like timing belts and there were some breaks in the covers and it seemed like the whole job was sloppy. Anyways. I get in there and the cam marks look like they are lined up (not 180 out).

Before this the car shook a bit at idle (don't have tach) and got 20 mpg tops but seemed good otherwise... So I'm wondering if the timing is a problem seperate from my car dying or if it may have just now slipped some? (and was maybe off a bit in the first place)

Basicaly the question is could it run those 8-12 teeth off timing??? or is that what has killed it now? Thanks. Here's some photos

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=912921

I knew myspace was good for something :D

Never done TBs b4 so I'd really appreciate any advice.

Edited by Scooby17

Well... I had a similar Problem Some time ago; one of my EA82 Subie`s Timin` Belt Slipped, Due to the Fact that it Missed Some Theet! :eek:

You could see Pictures and More information about, Here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99888&page=4

Also, I Kindly Suggest you to Read the Great MilesFox`s Write up about the Timin` Belt Procedure in EA82`s ... it could be Found at the USRM.

Kind Regards.

Bad news... times at least five. all though one is unrelated.

1) Legacy vs Deer. need new RH headlight/marker and windshield

rest regarding '87 dl

2) I couldn't find the 3 marks for cam timing on my flywheel... it's pretty rusty (The is one mark that someone made in orange in all the marks for ignition timing but thats unrelated ???)

3) While I was turning over the crank looking for the timer marks it seemed like it would almost bind every now and then and after a trip or two around there was a clanking sound like something dropping (like every other little turn or other).:-\

4) Where do i get a full timing belt kit? 1st subaru wants over 250$ :( found gates set on rockauto for 130? are they good enough?

I defineately know the TBs are wrong now. when the Driver side mark is top the passenger side is almost top as well (like 10 o'clock)

Thanks again for any and all help:confused:

get timing kits off ebay $60 is a steal for all those new pulleys.

im' not sure what's going on here with all this "clanking" you're talking about. does it sound internal, like in the engine?

if you have an y suspicion the engine is bad i'd just throw some used parts at it (post in the parts wanted section here) before investing any money into this thing.

but of course at $60 the ebay kit is hard to beat.

Edited by grossgary

Hmmh. well... that's not too good. It appears one of the two (10mm?) bolts holding the back timing belt cover fell out... took.. idk... probably at least 50-100 trips around the camshaft sprocket and then finally blocked it!!! I'll edit some pics in just a sec.. gonna go sign up for some picture hosting...

Any1 have a Pass side cam sprocket... it bent the ************ out of mine ...:eek:

what kind of damage could this have done to the rest of my valve timing??:-\

"3) While I was turning over the crank looking for the timer marks it seemed like it would almost bind every now and then and after a trip or two around there was a clanking sound like something dropping (like every other little turn or other)."

we know what that was now... hmmh.."

also found the timing marks.. had to use a flashlight in broad daylight. now i got some bright yellow auto paint and marked it...

here's pics:

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/SnowScooby17/CamshaftSpocketIsDead#

Edited by Scooby17
ugh.. pics. not likingme

can't see the sprocket too well but i'd just replace it and see what happens.

i'd be sure to reseal that cam cap too. there's an oring and a seal there, replace them both. thepartsbin.com and rockauto.com both sell cam seal "kits" which have both seal and oring

good luck.

she's alive :banana:

Thanks alot for the cam sprocket!

Still idles too high so I probably need to find my vaccuum leak (I know one is carb to intake.. missing a bolt...)

Can't wait to take this onto the trails, the stock legacy did awful today... lol.

• 3 months later...

It looks like the top bolt that holds the camshaft in place, was stripped and then backed out. That backed out bolt then bound up your camshaft toothed sprocket. Fortunately, there are extra threads available in that hole that the bolt backed out of. You will need to find a longer 10 mm headed bolt however. Or you can get a used camshaft housing at your local used auto parts reseller. Of course, then you will have to reset your distributor in the new housing, which can be difficult. Easy to find a longer bolt. And the teeth have to be exactly on. There is a hole in the face of the toothed sprocket that lines up with a notch in the black plastic rear cambelt cover. Or on the other belt side, the same hole would be directly opposite.