Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch sticking > 6k rpm

What points you towards the fork? If you have satisfied yourself that it is not the cable/pedal binding up then you basically gotta pull either the engine or tranny and get to the route of the problem. If i remember right all this happened after you put the new clutch in? If thats the case then i think you gotta get in there and figure out what the problem is. It could be as simple as the clutch getting hung up on the splines. I highy doubt its the fork but i suppose it could be.

actually it happend a month or two after the new clutch. i guess i would have to tear it apart then. no fun. i was i guess i can wait till i have enough money to send my EJ20 to the machine shop so i can put it together (also, i had help with the clutch as im somewhat new to automotive)

Edited by glcoupeguy

What do you mean by "sticky"?

Do the gears graunch?

Is it all the gears or just some?

Does it go into reverse ok?

Does it get worse and worse as the revs get higher or is it fine till you try a 6000 rev change?

Any noises with the clutch in? With it out?

Have you checked the gearbox oil?

Was it full?

Do you know what grade it is?

(Rhetorical questions. Just some things to think about and check)

Oh - you mean it grinds if you shift at high RPM. Well that's a different animal all together.

You have bad syncro's in the transmission. You can try a better gear oil like Redline, etc. But these transmissions were never designed to shift at 6k forever. It's just old and you'll probably have to rebuild it or replace it if you want that high-rpm shifting back.

GD