Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to winterize my Subie with fresh antifreeze. Do I pull the top or bottom hose to the radiator to drain out the old antifreeze. I know in the past, I have used a garden hose to flush water through the system. Just can't remember which hose to pull. Thanks for advise.

Thanks for the advise. It has been 3 years since antifreeze has been replaced. I will change thermostat as well. I will put the car up on ramps on the front. I hope raising the front end causes a good burp to rid any air in the cooling system.

Key to avoiding air is simple (ramps arent needed but it helps). Always have the car running when you add coolant. Pour in the coolant SLOWLY. STop when full, wait for the thermostat to open, then SLOWLY add more. Put the cap back on, close the bleeder, drive around the block, let car cool off. Repeat if needed.

And always watch the temp gauge when doing this.

People get air in the system cause they rush this part (any car can get air, some more prone then others).

nipper

You do use deionized water afet the garden hose flush or a 50/50 premix i hope.

What is deionized water? That is a new one one me..........Rooster2

After the flush.

Sheesh deionized water has been around as long as there have been steam irons. It's just demineralized water. Use the 50/50 premix.

nipper

Distilled water is the term. when you go to the store, they have bottle of "drinking' water and then there will be bottles of "distilled" water. Its the distilled that you want for mixing with antifreeze. clear?

Or, if you are cheap like me, and you run a dehumidifier to remove moisture in the home, the water which is pulled into the dehumidifier will also be the same as distilled.

I dont know why anyone buys premixed antifreeze

Price wise, a gallon of antifreeze that is straight antifreeze, non mixed, is priced exactly the same as the gallon of premixed. so, for an extra 79Cents (cost of a gallon of distilled water) you get double the antifreeze that is usable for only a few cents extra.

Edited by bheinen74

Distilled water is the term. when you go to the store, they have bottle of "drinking' water and then there will be bottles of "distilled" water. Its the distilled that you want for mixing with antifreeze. clear?

Or, if you are cheap like me, and you run a dehumidifier to remove moisture in the home, the water which is pulled into the dehumidifier will also be the same as distilled.

I dont know why anyone buys premixed antifreeze

Price wise, a gallon of antifreeze that is straight antifreeze, non mixed, is priced exactly the same as the gallon of premixed. so, for an extra 79Cents (cost of a gallon of distilled water) you get double the antifreeze that is usable for only a few cents extra.

Okay learned deionized is same as distilled. I keep a gallon around to add to car batteries when needed. I will put it to good use.