Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't find fuel evap line

tforce

I can't find the engine compartment portion of the fuel evap line on my 84 gl wagon. I'm trying to button up the fuel system on my ej swap and this has got me stumped. I can only find the delivery and return lines coming out of the firewall. Feeling kind of dumb but I've looked all over.:banghead:

I am not sure about your 84 but my 85 carby wagon...

the inlet line was on the bottom by the frame rail...

the return and evap lines are up by the brake resivoir. tucked in between it and the brake booster and going into the firewall.

the return is the larger one, the evap is the smaller one.

I just used the same dia hose from the EJ evap and then put a hose clamp around the EA because it is smaller still.

Hope this helps..

Will take pics for you if needed.

I am not sure about your 84 but my 85 carby wagon...

the inlet line was on the bottom by the frame rail...

the return and evap lines are up by the brake resivoir. tucked in between it and the brake booster and going into the firewall.

the return is the larger one, the evap is the smaller one.

I just used the same dia hose from the EJ evap and then put a hose clamp around the EA because it is smaller still.

Hope this helps..

Will take pics for you if needed.

Pics would be awesome. I'll have to look for that line by the frame rail. Thanks.

The evap line is next to the fuel supply line (smaller of the two). The return line is to the left of the steering shaft about 8 or 10 inches from the supply/evap lines.

Don't block it unless you install a vented tank cap. That's the only way the tank vent's and you'll cause a vacuum in the tank if you block it.

EA82's are completely different so don't bother taking a pic for him.

GD

The evap line is next to the fuel supply line (smaller of the two). The return line is to the left of the steering shaft about 8 or 10 inches from the supply/evap lines.

Don't block it unless you install a vented tank cap. That's the only way the tank vent's and you'll cause a vacuum in the tank if you block it.

GD

Thanks a ton GD. I haven't had to look yet but I should be getting back to it soon.

T

GD

So from what you're saying, the return line is smaller than the evap line. I took a couple pics with my phone...not the greatest quality.

th_IMG00019-20091105-1847.jpg

Return Line?

th_IMG00021-20091105-1849.jpg

Return line on left, evap on right?

Edited by tforce
Bad picture links

The links for your pics are broken....

The return and evap lines are about the same size. The evap line is about 2" to the right of the fuel supply. The return line is 8 or 10 inches to the left of it.

GD

I think I've got the right ones then. I fixed those photos in my previous post. The line that I think is the return has red/orange rubber grommet in the end of it.

Thanks again.

T

Yep - that's the one. Pull out the orange nozzle thing. I always do anyway. I disconnect them at the firewall and run the line from the carb directly to it. The Hitachi return line barb has a tiny little orifice in it already. I don't know what the deal was with that orange bit, but they all run fine without it.

When I say where the lines are located I am talking about the steel hard-lines comming out of the firewall. The hoses are ancillery and I generally replace them anyway.

GD

Yep - that's the one. Pull out the orange nozzle thing. I always do anyway. I disconnect them at the firewall and run the line from the carb directly to it. The Hitachi return line barb has a tiny little orifice in it already. I don't know what the deal was with that orange bit, but they all run fine without it.

When I say where the lines are located I am talking about the steel hard-lines comming out of the firewall. The hoses are ancillery and I generally replace them anyway.

GD

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I'm replacing my delivery and return lines with FI grade hose. Do I need to upgrade the evap line too?

One other question. Do I need to leave the carb fuel pump in to feed my surge tank or can I just put the surge tank between my FI pump and gas tank?

T

The carb fuel pump will need to supply the surge tank. You need two complete loops - one for the surge tank supply/return, and another for the FI supply and return. So 4 connections total to the tank and it's critical that they be located in the right places. Make sure that the tank return is at the top, and the FI supply is an inch or so off the bottom so sediment doesn't clog the port.

GD

The carb fuel pump will need to supply the surge tank. You need two complete loops - one for the surge tank supply/return, and another for the FI supply and return. So 4 connections total to the tank and it's critical that they be located in the right places. Make sure that the tank return is at the top, and the FI supply is an inch or so off the bottom so sediment doesn't clog the port.

GD

Copy that. Does it matter where the ports for the surge tank supply and gas tank return are located on the surge tank? Also, I've heard talk of putting inline filters somewhere the system when adding the surge tank. Necessary?

T