Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's an '86 BRAT worth?

~200k miles, engine apparently doesn't leak, says it needs a new transmission very soon though. 4WD works, and has some dents in the body, with the interior in not-so-hot shape either. The guy has had it on the market for awhile, and has reduced it to $500 recently. I'm going on Monday to look at it. Thoughts or advice?

~200k miles, engine apparently doesn't leak, says it needs a new transmission very soon though. 4WD works, and has some dents in the body, with the interior in not-so-hot shape either. The guy has had it on the market for awhile, and has reduced it to $500 recently. I'm going on Monday to look at it. Thoughts or advice?

Buy it now

Its really easy to find a replacement tranny and if its not rusty, it could be

worth up to $5000.

But not on here :-p

Twitch

mmmmmm... $500 dollars.... been awhile since I have seen a price like that.... Thats a good entry price on getting into a Brat... unless it is beat up and rusted...

A broken front window will cost you $280. that is a major cost if broken so you can use that as leverage if it is badly chipped or broken... so if that is good then $500. keeps sounding better.

Bad tranny... might as well put a 5 speed in....

I am the owner of over 5 Subaru BRATs and if it is not rusty it is worth $500 any day of the week.

Hell a good rear tailgate goes for over $400 on Ebay. If it is not worth fixing part it out.

Even rusty ones are fetching $500 to a $1000 if they're in running condition.

Also, our '82 Brat was valued at $3950 when we sued in small claims court when the insurance company refused to give us more than $1100 for it. Of course we had data to support our claim and the taxi driver who we had to sue (not the insurance company) didn't have any evidence to counter our list of comparables. You can look at it (the gold colored one) in my photo album section. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/album.php?albumid=87

Which is complete crap, makes it damn near impossible for someone like me to get into a decent one :mad:

-Bill

no comment, at least you have non rusted ones all over there its a dime a dozen around your neck of the woods, ones that aren't a safety hazard due to frame that is rotted/MIA.

shipping cost of 900 from west coast is no biggie that is all we can do to get one decent, otherwise we can get rusty ones that are totally not safe, dangerous, etc.

Edited by bheinen74

Which is complete crap, makes it damn near impossible for someone like me to get into a decent one :mad:

-Bill

I can sympathize with you, but it's reality. I've been watching the price of Brats rise for the last 8 years. Currently, there's been a slight dip due to the current state of the economy. Crap or not, that's the way it is.

wow there are rust free brats that still exist???? i am so abused in new hampshire. i have my complete rear out. tank,torsion tube,shocks,. now i welding in new right frame rail. properly welded and repaired will be as good as new. sure they rust but all can be repaired. you just have to work at it. it would be grreat to have rust frees at my end of the world. i do have 2 brats with about 110,000 miles, very little rust, but still had rust repairs to do

Nice. What's the report on the condition of it?

Not fantastic. Needs a new trans(sounds like the front diff is about gone), quite a few dents, interior is so-so(ignition switch is toast). Not much rust though, so that's a plus, and the windshield needs to be replaced(cracked).

Not fantastic. Needs a new trans(sounds like the front diff is about gone), quite a few dents, interior is so-so(ignition switch is toast). Not much rust though, so that's a plus, and the windshield needs to be replaced(cracked).

I'm trading an '82 wagon to Terry from CCR for a bunch of work he's doing for me. I know he wants the pugs and the engine from it, but it's got a good 4 speed tranny, and a really good windshield that you might be able to get from him afterwards.

I'm trading an '82 wagon to Terry from CCR for a bunch of work he's doing for me. I know he wants the pugs and the engine from it, but it's got a good 4 speed tranny, and a really good windshield that you might be able to get from him afterwards.

Where's he at, and what's the contact info?

..........ignition switch is toast.......

Unless your ignition switch is dangling wires assure it isn't just a bad key.

YOu can pull the passenger door cylender, take it to the lock-smith, get a new master key cut and try the ignition switch...

Silicone spray and a new key goes a long way. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you get some bonding time with the Brat... still say it was a great save... enjoy.

Edited by Indrid cold

Unless your ignition switch is dangling wires assure it isn't just a bad key.

YOu can pull the passenger door cylender, take it too the lock-smith, get a new master key cut and try the ignition switch...

Silicone spray and a new key goes a long way. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you get some bonding time with the Brat... still say it was a great save... enjoy.

Well, the previous owner had the ignition switch just rotate and not do anything, so he wired up some POS switch that just takes a screwdriver to start. See here:

DSCF0150.JPG

Well, the previous owner had the ignition switch just rotate and not do anything, so he wired up some POS switch that just takes a screwdriver to start. See here:

Hmmmm. I believe that every EA81 I've owned has had some sort of aftermarket ignition modification. First one had the switch hanging by the wires (no key any more, just the switch), so I put in a generic ignition switch in the dash. Second one I can't remember for sure, but third and fourth ones both lost the start position on the switch so I put in an aftermarket switch on one and a big black pushbuttons for the starter on the other.