Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who makes a rear LSD for a R160?

I've checked ebay and they seem to all be for the R180 diffs.

Been pondering over the idea of putting in a rear diff in the wagon.. the car is a 5 M/T so that means the rear Diff must be 3.44 right?

And I'm pretty sure those OBX front diffs would fit fine right?

helps to start with what vehicle you're talking about.

nothing subaru makes has a 3.44 gear ratio so not sure what that is.

manual trans EJ will be 3.9 or 4.11.

as for LSD - what are you looking for?

there are EJ rear LSD's, that would be the easiest option.

as for fronts, yes there are a number of options and companies that make front LSD's. there's already quite a huge thread about them here started by WJM.

oh yeah, then there's a number of front diff options. yours is just standard EJ series front diff stuff. those are also interchangeable with EA series front diffs as well - at least with the 4EAT and manual trans they are. Subaru didn't change much about those for many years.

as for the rears maybe you could convert an old EA series to work in an EJ? i haven't heard of anyone doing that so either they haven't tried or it's more work than most folks want to get into.

someone recently posted that they thought their VLSD locked up in less than one revolution of slipping...i found it hard to believe but if that's even close to true they might be a better option than we think?

not sure on your final drive.

best to state the vehicle in the thread as sig's changem, cars change, or you could be talking about a different car or own multiple subaru's.

Thanks for the info because I checked on the rear diff and I did not see any numbers.. not sure if it's on the top of the diff.. but I plan on trying to find one from a junk yard to open up..

I'm sure a VLSD would be easy to find but they are on the weak side and a decent one is $900+

well I ment $900+ for a TorSen type.

I never got to really test my AWD when i brought the car the snow was pretty much all gone..

I thought about freezing water in pans but I think the weight of the car would crack the ice I think..

I was going to start with the rear since it's easy to get to.

question.. so where about is the gear ratio on the rear diff? I think trying to find a 3.9 and one with a LSD is going to be hard, no?

It should be on the back of the diff, and it depends on how deep your pockets

are and how diligently you can search junkyards.

There may be an Outback out there with what you're looking for, but I'm

not sure.

Twitch

Ok.. because I know I had a 03 forester XS with a rear LSD but no place on the diff did it say LSD.

i am not an expert, but my understanding that the only subaru built in the last 10 years lsd is the WRX (not viscous either mechanical, or clutch or ... i don't really know, but they are not viscous and they are sought after and they are expensive), and the ratio does not match my outback, legacy or GT.

in 2001 vlsd became available on outbacks, 4.11 for manual and 4.44 for automatics. by 'o3 they were standard on outbacks and GTs, maybe more.

they all bolt in the exact same way and you can mix and match, a 93 will bolt into an 04, no problem.

I know the STI uses a mechanical unit but as far as I understand everything else uses a VLSD in the rear.

my thing is trying to find a 3.90 rear diff to take the guts out.. I'm pretty sure the LSD used axle stubs right and the non LSD did not have them?