Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock sensor - life expectancy?

My 2000 4cyl OBW has 125K. 2nd owner. Purchased 3 1/2 yrs and 40K ago. Shortly after I bought it the CEL came on: 328 code - knock sensor. I replaced with OE part. CEL silent for a few years but has resumed - code still 328. What is the life expectancy of these sensors? Did I likely damage it during installation? What is the secret? TIA.

Life expectancy varies wildly to say the least, but I'm talking about whether it'll last 10 years or 15...100,000 or 200,000. Yours obviously is having issues way too early.

Thing is failure is just typical rubber deterioration, not anything else, so yours almost certainly isn't bad.

There's a very specific procedure for installing it. Clean the threads, the mating area on the block (no debris), and then install the sensor at a very specific angle and torque setting.

I would pull it out, clean it off, look for cracks at the base, clean the block and threads out - then reinstall it exactly as it's intended.

There are very good threads on here about how to install it, including detailed pictures - by porcupine if you want to use the advanced search function.

a hairline crack is enough to kill it.. I think it needs to be only tighten to 14 Ft. Lb if I saw right in the manual.

Also make sure you don't have a rodent that likes to eat the wire like I did when I brought my car used I had that code but the cable was pretty much in half.

It is very easy to crack the plastic sensor because of over tightening upon installation. Like said earlier, look for cracks in the plastic, and if need to replace, just a gentle snug tightening is all that is needed to secure the knock sensor to the engine block.