Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb paint questions - changing color, costs..

I have a brown Legacy LSi sedan. Repaired a deer collision with parts from my white Legacy GT parts car. I'm now looking to get it all painted one color. Actually I'd like to have it painted like a white SUS but that's probably too much work.

I like white much better than brown but I know folks say changing color is bad. I'm not that picky - so what are the key areas to think about? Door jambs I guess since you see them the most? I'm not that worried about the engine bay or trunk, I'm not that picky.

I also have the complete Legacy GT parts car so I can swap doors and the other fender too. But even then should I paint the entire thing or just the brown parts? Hard to match 10 year old paint?

What are the approximate costs of materials to paint a complete car? I'll be doing it myself with the help of a very skilled friend. $100 - $500 - $1,000?

resale value will be lower if you change it and dont do the door jams and firewall, engine bay area. White shows little spots of rust the worst out of all colors too.

I remember going to a car show one day, and they had a pretty decent looking Chevelle all nice, but the hood and trunk was propped up and the outside of the car was a blueish gray, but the underside of hood and trunk, and firewall was a puke barf green color. Made the car look HORRIBLE

Edited by bheinen74

:lol::lol::lol: i'm keeping this thing until it's ready for the junk yard, if i ever sold it i'd get more than i paid, and i also castrated it - FWD and EJ18!! resale is not a concern. this is one of our daily drivers and i plan for it to be for a long time.

i'm thinking door jambs are worth the effort.

i'm not looking for show quality - don't care what it looks like with the hood popped. though the hood is already replaced, so the underside is already white.

paint it black.

black is beautiful.

Oh no...

Rob has infected another... :-p

I say go for White.

White is clean, sleek (esp. if you go with a pearly white), and heat efficient.

Not mention your parts car is white as well, so it'll be easier to make the parts

you swap blend in.

And if you do all the prep yourself (or free labor), you're looking at at least

$50 in sanding supplies, plus primer is up to $100 for the whole car, paint can

be around $300, throw in an extra $20 for the hardener, then the cost of renting or buying the proper spray head is an almost infinite variable.

So you're looking at $500 minimum, and more likely pushing the $1000 mark

by the time you're done.

Twitch

FYI: macco has a mid winter half price sale, get the 400$ job for 200$ or 200$ for 100$. not the greatest paint job in the world, but for a daily driver you are never going to sell it's not bad. especially if you have no rust to begin with.

i painted a 15 year old nissan truck for 200 and it still looks great 5 yrs later.

and i painted my 95 legacy w/ 166k miles just before i gave it to my son for college.

Edited by johnceggleston