Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The perfect re-build

Dirk

I am toying with the idea of re-building an engine to the best possible standard.

I realise that in order to do this I will have to dig deep into my pocket and get proffesional help with machining all relevent parts to the highest standard. The rest of the car is in remarkably good order for its age so I think it would be worth doing this.

What I need first is a list of all the things possible to do to get the most out of the engine. Accessories are not important at this moment. A perfectly set up engine block is my first need.

The base for this project would be the latest model EA71 I can lay my hands on.

All comments and opinions welcome.

Well getting the latest model EA71 isnt going to matter as much as getting the best core engine you can find. Im guessing you have the top mounted starter. The later EA71s were side mounted. Not sure about what was available down ther though. I know here in the US EA71s are getting very rare and rebuild kits for them are impossible to find.

Have you considered changing everything over to the EA81 and trans?

I recomend that you get at least 2 cores if you can, I went through 3 befor I found a block worth salvaging. Tear 'em down then youre off to a machinist. He tells you what you will need based on what was salvegable, and what size bearings you will need. He may also have suppliers for a master rebuild kit, or at least a rod kit whatever is available for your motor, maybe with a discount.

Since your still running with plenty of time you might start looking for a weber and adaptor, maybe seek out a cam grinder to set you up with a better cam grind if possible and any other perf mods you can desire. Do it right, and do everything you want this time. A warning though if you do mods there will be headaches. Relax and take your time.

Edited by ihscout54

Thanks for that.

No mods for me. I just want the basic engine back to origional or better. The transmision I can change if I need to but I would prefer to use the EA71. Would like to keep the car as origional as possible. Parts permitting. There is a man in Aukland who has spares available plus over sized bearings and pistons etc so I think I will be catered for in that department.

if your looking for spare blocks an stuff give Otago Wreckers in Dunedin a ring....they are a subaru only wrecker....and have a currently at least 4 ea71 engines....including a twin carb motor thats still sitting in a rusted out hatch.

if your looking for the newest ea71 engine you can get keep an eye out for a a EA82 shape "1600 FWD Leone".... they have the last version of the EA71 motor...hydraulic lifters electronic dizzy an all the good bits

• 5 months later...

heya dirk,

im about to do the same thing for my EA71 in Dunedin, am pulling it tonight, :banana:

I am after a solid motor, just built to factory specs, im doing this all myself (except machining)

I'd be keen to discuss where you are locating rebuild part from.

Nice one man! Good luck. Don't forget to post plenty of picks.

Oh yeah, I don't know if you have done this before but there is a bolt inside one of the oil chambers that will have to come out before you split the block.

Just giving you the heads up because I didn't know it was there and couldn't understand why the damn thing wasn't coming apart!:banghead:

http://www.bowdenengineparts.co.nz/

This guy looked after me pretty well.

Cheers

If only you weren't on the other side of the planet! There is an old guy named Jack here who has a built EA71 with matching tuned turbo wrapped up in his garage, it was for one of his home built helicopters but he lost his health certificate. He got quiet when I tried to buy it awhile back like maybe he hoped to use it someday. He now runs a built ea81 on a home made trike!