Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Open Heart Surgery

Dirk

For those of you who havn't seen the inside of a boxer engine I thought this would be a bit of fun. Its amazing how simple the engine really is when you get down to the working parts. But as I have learned, its the phenominal acuracy in the way they are put together that is the really hard part.

I'm glad I did it though. Even if it is a half arsed job, I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Can't wait to do the next one.

Gutted I didn't take pics of the crank shaft and rods etc. I was so excited about putting it all back together I just forgot.:rolleyes:

1BlocksandHeads.jpg

2Honedcylinders.jpg

5NewPistonRings.jpg

7HeadGasket.jpg

9Rocker.jpg

11FlywheelHousingandOilpan.jpg

13.jpg

Enginebayandgearbox.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

Lookin good. That is one CLEAN engine bay.

As for the color, it really reminds me of a color that Chrysler used to call limelight (plymouth divisions name). It def is a standout in that color (your car and any muscle car painted it).

plymouth-cars-14.jpg

I had a '71 Charger w/ 383-4bbl, A833 and a D60 rearend the same color (don't remember what Dodge called it). Wish I had never sold it...

i dont know if it is one, but in the second pic it looks like you have a crack in the cylinder wall...

Its just a water mark after washing the block for the hundred time. Looks like I didn't wipe it down properly.

I cleaned everything by hand.:)