Ultimate Subaru Message Board

traction control and snow.....

Hi I'm just kinda lookin for opinions/others experience on this. I have an 08 outback xt with the 5 speed manual. When I go drivin in the snow i usually turn the traction control off, i guess cause all my older soobs never had it and went just fine. Also, it seems like when tires do start to spin or slide, then the engine cuts power, then re-applies power, then things start to spin or slide again, engine cuts...... see where I'm goin with this?? I'm runnin haakapalitas, which are the best studs I've ever owned and i feel safe at speeds with them. I do push the limits, but am also pretty confident in my abilites behind the wheel. I dunno, i guess i like to be the one telling my car how much power to put down, not the ecu/tractioncu or whatever. Kinda takes away from my fun too sometimes. I guess what I'm tryin to figure out is, is the traction control gonna save my a$$ if i get into trouble on the hill? I'm thinkin no but am open for advice... Thanks, Spencer

Well your car has VDC I believe. Which will prevent the car from sliding sideways for example or spinning out. It does this by applying brakes to certain wheels. It does work and will save your rump roast. Try playing around with it in a parking lot.

Although are you saying with it off it is still operating? Or you are just asking in general whether to leave it on because it sounds like you should leave it on the way you drive. It won't hurt saving your life and possibly others really.

i understand the safety factor as far as being concerned about others, i AM safe, i DO drive at above posted limits, (alot of us do!) i guess i was just kinda curious what others experience was with traction control devices. was this even available on the non-turbo model outback?

TC systems vary by the manufacturer. Some of them are so intrusive that the car can hardly be driven in the snow with the system on. My Lincoln won't even move in snow with the traction system on, unless the road is completely flat.

Take it out in an empty parking lot and experiment with it.