Ultimate Subaru Message Board

edit: '95 legacy, AT AWD, 2.2

OK... with the intent of doing a two gallon flush/exhange of atf....

I pulled the little yellow dipstick on the passengers side, put the hose for my Harbor Freight pump down there and proceeded to draw fluid. After only about a quart, the pump took a dump.

So I put a jack under the driver's side, lift the car and pull the tranny plug.

I only got about a gallon out of it before it stopped draining. I expected more, but then I'd pulled a quart out all ready....

I put the drain plug in, level the car and proceed to funnel ATF into the hole on the passenger's side where the little dipstick was.

I got nearly 3 quarts in and then it was overflowing!!

"HUH????" After dorking around (sadly in fading daylight, it's now dark outside), I found the proper dipstick for the tranny back on the Driver's side, hidden in the shadow of hoses.

I was all ready sorta freaked out, realizing I've screwed the pooch, so I'm not sure if I put 3 quarts or 4 into the (proper) tranny tube.

RIght now the car is sitting. I'm not starting it until I have a plan of action.

Also, I prefer to conceal the puddle of ATF that is under it now from where I overfilled (the transaxle???) the passenger's side dipstick.

OK crew... I'll dig into my owner's manual and see what it has to say about Transaxle fluids. If it's just ATF in there, I can just restore it to proper levels.

As for the tranny... I was doing a flush pursuant to Torque Bind. I finally got four new tires y'day. Today I pulled the FWD fuse and the TB is still there. FWIW, seems much worse turning to left than right (or is the other way around. I sorta rattled right now and totally off my rocker).

I know this isn't the end of the world, just a hitch in the giddy up. I haven't run the car but what was gonna be a simple 20 minute event has become a minor crisis.

Edited by rainman19154

Okie Dokie.... guess I'll be draining or siphoning the transaxle and putting 90W back to the proper levels.

And what small amount I did get draining the ATF was ~reasonably inline with what my owner's manual says.

I tossed that siphon pump thinking it had quit after only pulling a quart out. Turns out that might be all that the transaxle had it in it.

I guess I got this sorted out... I hope I've given ya'll a good chuckle on a Saturday night.

Damn, I hope I'm not a quart over in the AT. Well that is another matter and nothing that can't be sorted out.

Okie Dokie.... guess I'll be draining or siphoning the transaxle and putting 90W back to the proper levels.

And what small amount I did get draining the ATF was ~reasonably inline with what my owner's manual says.

I tossed that siphon pump thinking it had quit after only pulling a quart out. Turns out that might be all that the transaxle had it in it.

I guess I got this sorted out... I hope I've given ya'll a good chuckle on a Saturday night.

Damn, I hope I'm not a quart over in the AT. Well that is another matter and nothing that can't be sorted out.

as you have figured out, the passenger side dip stick is for the front diff. the driver side dip stick is for the auto trans.

refill the trans and make sure the level is correct before you drive it much. low fliud will damage the trans. the ATF dipstick can be hard to read, check both sides before you are satisfied. get the level correct for the cold marks and then adjust for hot. the ~4 qts. is right for thre trans since the torque converter does not drain.

there is a drain plug for the front diff. i'd probably drain it and re-fill it, and maybe do it again when warm and let it drip dry and then refill with the correct amount.

as you have figured out, the passenger side dip stick is for the front diff. the driver side dip stick is for the auto trans.

refill the trans and make sure the level is correct before you drive it much. low fliud will damage the trans. the ATF dipstick can be hard to read, check both sides before you are satisfied. get the level correct for the cold marks and then adjust for hot. the ~4 qts. is right for thre trans since the torque converter does not drain.

there is a drain plug for the front diff. i'd probably drain it and re-fill it, and maybe do it again when warm and let it drip dry and then refill with the correct amount.

X2

Front diff uses 80w 90 gear oil. 1.3 quarts according to the manual.

Transmission uses Dexron 2 or better ATF.

ah well, stupid is as stupid does.

I was up bright and early setting things right. The drain for the T'axle was a little tough to spot in the shadows but that's handled. I will say, it came off really tight- not sure how it should be, I checked the torgue spec on it and put it back in accordingly. 32.5 ft lbs I think it is. That seems light but I didn't want to strip something out with my enthusiasm.

As for the ATF, I was just about to the low mark on the stick, so not terrible. I've added another quart, drove it around and checked it again. It's warmed up somewhat but looks to be about halfway between the marks - I think a bit low yet.

I'll check it again later after I've put some more time on it and got it more fully warmed up.

Oh well, live n learn. This isn't the worst or the dumbest thing I've gotten myself into but it's a high mark in recent history.:mad:

I wouldn't even screw with the flushes. Just come on down and let's fix the torque bind properly. That way you won't have any issues this winter when you least expect it. Torque bind in the snow can be very dangerous.

It's hard to call it a flush; so far I've swapped out about a gallon of fluid.

And probably more as a result of getting proper tires on there - after about 25 miles of driving the torque bind had pretty much cleared itself up. In fact, by the time I'd driven home from work today and had about 70 miles clocked, I'm was feeling next to nothing. Some posts on other threads say I should feel the AWD giving some sensation... there is maybe a rumble of sensation but nothing I'd call a bind.

I'm gonna swap out another gallon or two, just cuz it's due.

I'll keep your offer in mind but the next priority is getting the brakes done. I need pads n rotors x 4, minimally.

Make sure youactually have awd now. I worked on a car that TB for a while and the rear drive drum actually snapped off it's shaft. I was still able to fix it with a replacement, but up to that point she was in FWD. Jack up the car and run it. You should see the rear wheels spin, if not, you may have the same problem. In your case, I think that you may have solved the problem and I am very glad. Now you and the wife are going to have to come up with another excuse for a road trip and night out away.

The matched tires are a must and that may have been the problem all along. Good catch.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Make sure youactually have awd now. I worked on a car that TB for a while and the rear drive drum actually snapped off it's shaft. I was still able to fix it with a replacement, but up to that point she was in FWD.

Ouch!! That had to have given quite a jolt through the chassis, coupled with some crazy sound effect when it all let loose. I've had nothing like that.

In fact, in other posts here, I've read of symptoms much more severe than anything I was experiencing.

Learning of the FWD fuse bought me some very valuable time while I got the resources to buy a full set of tires. For that insight alone, I owe USMB a great debt of gratitude.*** THANK YOU, ALL

Basically, I think I've dodged a bullet and can worry about other things, i.e. the aforementioned brakes.

As for the tranny... I was doing a flush pursuant to Torque Bind. I finally got four new tires y'day. Today I pulled the FWD fuse and the TB is still there. FWIW, seems much worse turning to left than right (or is the other way around. I sorta rattled right now and totally off my rocker).

I know this isn't the end of the world, just a hitch in the giddy up. I haven't run the car but what was gonna be a simple 20 minute event has become a minor crisis.

The 20,000 dollar question. How long did the car drive on mismatched tires if it did?

A tranny flush is four drain and fills. Sometimes it works sometimes it just delays the inevitable.

nipper