Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Rocker Panels

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the site and I just bought a Brat this week. It needs some serious work. One thing it desperately needs is new rocker panels. Will panels meant for any other models fit an 86 Brat?

Is anyone aware of places to buy body panels, such as the rockers and wheel wells for a brat?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can pretty much use rockers from any EA81 vehicle. Hatch, Brat, coupe, sedan, and wagon. There might be different lengths though so im not sure what you are trying to do. Are u interested in replacing the entire rocker? If thats the case you would have to measure the rockers. Im not sure which ones have the same rocker lenths.

I think trying to replace the entire rocker is what I'm looking at. They're pretty rough. I did find new replacements at rustrepair.com, under "Subaru," then "SUBARU SEDAN / WAGON 80-94." They're for four door, but I'm thinking I can possibly cut them to fit.

That would be your best bet. Measure twice and cut once kinda deal. Who knows they might be the same length too but i kinda doubt it. Also if the rockers are that far gone how is the undercarriage as ^ said. If its really shot u might not want to invest in rockers.

have you checked the front frame rails arches yet? that is usually terminal if they are rusty too.

better get some pics to see.

and welcome to the board.

Upon initial inspection, the frame seemed decent, despite body issues. It certainly is possibly our inspection while lying on the ground missed something. I may have already stated that I'm not the most knowledgeable wrench in the world, so here's my question reinforcing that. Where exactly are the front frame rails arches? Would they be right by the rocker panels? Do they run front to back or left to right?

Again, thanks for the help and the suggestions.

I uploaded pics to a shutterfly album, for those of you who wanted to see pics of the rot in my rocker panels and floor. Can anyone tell if it is too far gone? To my layman's eye, it seems like a project, but not beyond hope. It looks to me like the frame rails under the floor might need some fixing, but they seem mostly solid. Anyway, thank you to everyone for all the help/suggestions you have been giving.

I guess that all depends on good a welder you are. Truth be told you really wont know how bad it is until you start grinding and cutting rust. The frame rails look like they are starting to get pretty rusty right where they normally go but have not reached bad yet. Those might be able to get away with grinding them down to fresh metal and painting them with a few coats of rust preventative paint then a nice even coat of undercoat. Floors and rockers you might want to find a donor. Rear wheel wells will need to make sure the shock mount is solid. It all comes down to how good you get rid of the rust and how good of a welder you are. Im not the greatest welder at all but im getting rid of the rust. Will it return...probably someday. For now though its strong again.

• 2 weeks later...