Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3spd auto going away (5spd swap)

Hi guys,

I have a 1990 loyale, non turbo, with the 3at. Im buying a 1987 donor car with a 5spd dr to swap it out. Ive read through all of the posts that I can find. And just a couple of questions. It looks like I can install the clutch etc from under the car. Is it easier to pull the engine? I hope not:eek: Is there any parts that wont fit from this 1987? Will the axles in my car work in this D/R? Does anyone have any tips on removal and installation, especially of the tourque converter and install of the pressure plate, fly wheel and clutch? I have a manual and will be referensing that alot. LAST thing about how long should this take a mechanicaly inclined person to complete?

Thanks guys

Mike

doing a clutch alone is FAAARRRR easier by pulling the motor. but only to avoid dropping the trans. since you have to drop the trans anyway....might as well leave the motor in it.

the axles will definitely work.

remove the torque converter by un-bolting the bolts that hold it to the flex plate through the access hole on the top of the motor (engine side). then drop the trans, and un-bolt the flex plate from the engine.

remember to keep the flywheel bolts, as they're longer than the ones that go through the flex plate.

aligning the clutch disc is an ENORMOUS pain from under the car (one of the reasons it's so much easier to pull the engine). a tip: forget the alignment tool, and aligning it at all. put the clutch together, and then just leave the pressure plate bolts finger tight (at most, I just thread them in a few rotations). now as you're installing the trans, the clutch disc can move around in there, and it makes it much simpler to get everything aligned. Then you can tighten them one at a time through the starter hole just like the flex plate bolts. just make sure to get to each one at least twice, to make sure they're all good and tight before you install the starter.

Also, put a jack and chunk of wood under the oil pan to tilt the engine back (don't forget to un-bolt the pitch stopper...or you'll probably lift the car by the pan..... :eek: ). This will also help drastically in getting the 2 aligned properly.

remember, the driveshaft is a different length from Auto to manual, so you'll need the front half (at least) of the driveshaft from the donor car.

and, your rear diff is likely a 3.7, and the one in the D/R is a 3.9. so you'll have to swap that out too.

I think that's it...

maybe i didn't see something right, i didn't see you mention if the donor car is turbo or not? the axles and trans both need to be from turbo or non-turbo to match.

the pedal assembly is my least favorite part of the deal, but i've heard it's easier if you remove the steering column first. haven't done one since hearing that tidbit of info.

i would drop the donor trans. a transmission "can" come out way quicker than an engine. you can have the trans on the ground in 30 minutes, *you* will not even come close to having the engine and trans out by pulling that way.

working from under the car is HORRIBLY annoying. on your back, fluids, dust, and rust getting your eyes, no room to work, harder to get your tools in place. it's far simpler and less actual work to do...but much more annoying and troublesome...so it depends on you, how easily/hard the thing comes apart (rust, etc) and your work space/tools.

that being said on XT's and all combinations of EJ's (auto, AWD, EJ25, FWD, EJ22)...i've been able to pull and install the entire lump..engine and trans bolted together. if that's true on your loyale you can pull both at the same time and install both at the same time.

No, its a major detail.

And a MAJOR pita, I've done a couple.

Like Gary said, its easier to drop the steering column and deal with it that way.

i know. i meant that in total sarcasm. i had to laugh because when i was contemplating a 5spd swap i forgot about that part at first.

Hi guys,

I have a 1990 loyale, non turbo, with the 3at. Im buying a 1987 donor car with a 5spd dr to swap it out. Ive read through all of the posts that I can find. And just a couple of questions. It looks like I can install the clutch etc from under the car. Is it easier to pull the engine? I hope not:eek: Is there any parts that wont fit from this 1987? Will the axles in my car work in this D/R? Does anyone have any tips on removal and installation, especially of the tourque converter and install of the pressure plate, fly wheel and clutch? I have a manual and will be referensing that alot. LAST thing about how long should this take a mechanicaly inclined person to complete?

Thanks guys

Mike

Hi,

i want to put in a penny's worth, be sure to replace the rear main seal and the block cover gasket ( if your engine has that ) located beside the rear main seal. also be sure to save all the brackets for clutch cable and accelerator cable, and you may find different electrical connectors for backup lights and others on the manual trans than your auto.

good luck with it.

i would leave the rear main seal if it's not at all wet. they are the least likely seal to leak and the reason i say not too is the frequency with which they leak after being replaced. i've never had one leak, but i've seen enough of them leak by folks that know what they're doing.

You forgot the pedal box :-p

That needs to be transferred over also.

heh heh.......DOH.

I knew I'd forget something.

I left the steering column in the car, but in an EA, you definitely have to un-bolt it from the dash and drop it to the floor.

that does remind me, though. make sure that the ignition lock isn't engaged when you un-plug everything (make sure it's in park, and key stays off). or you'll have a heck of a time getting your key out!

maybe i didn't see something right, i didn't see you mention if the donor car is turbo or not? the axles and trans both need to be from turbo or non-turbo to match.

good call. I assumed it was non-turbo, as the only turbos to come with a D/R were the RXs.

good call. I assumed it was non-turbo, as the only turbos to come with a D/R were the RXs.

i have a turbo sedan (parts car) with a D/R - is that an RX type? - not full time

i understood it was a 3.7 final.....- would bolt straight into an a/t car right?

WOW:banana: thanks guys. But the work will now have to wait. I had found a parts car for 100.00 on cl. Spoke to the kid. I asked him if I could pick it up early in the morning, he said he had a doc. appt. so he asked me to show up a 1230. Agreed. I went and picked up a tow dolly and called him about 15 min from his house. The kid says "oh you didnt get my message? I sold it to a guy that came early this morning." Talk about pissing me off. Anyhow back to searching for a cheap parts car, times are tough and money is hard to come buy.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFO. I will be back to this thread many times when I find a car.

Thanks again

Mike

WOW:banana: thanks guys. But the work will now have to wait. I had found a parts car for 100.00 on cl. Spoke to the kid. I asked him if I could pick it up early in the morning, he said he had a doc. appt. so he asked me to show up a 1230. Agreed. I went and picked up a tow dolly and called him about 15 min from his house. The kid says "oh you didnt get my message? I sold it to a guy that came early this morning." Talk about pissing me off. Anyhow back to searching for a cheap parts car, times are tough and money is hard to come buy.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFO. I will be back to this thread many times when I find a car.

Thanks again

Mike

Wow! That guy is officially a douche!

That's pretty lame of the guy to do that. I don't know how many people I've turned down because of a pending offer etc

i have a turbo sedan (parts car) with a D/R - is that an RX type? - not full time

i understood it was a 3.7 final.....- would bolt straight into an a/t car right?

'85-'86 RXs were sedans with PT4WD. otherwise very similar to the FT4WD version. the taller final drive, smaller low range reduction, really short 5th gear and 25 spline axles.

This should help ya. Its for EA81s but since EA82 2wds are the same as EA81s i doubt there will be much if anything different.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69534

they're pretty different. and wasn't asking about 2WD cars. the FWD Ea82 5MT internals are the same as EA82 FWD internals. there are many differences in mounting and shift linkage.

'85-'86 RXs were sedans with PT4WD. otherwise very similar to the FT4WD version. the taller final drive, smaller low range reduction, really short 5th gear and 25 spline axles.

they're pretty different. and wasn't asking about 2WD cars. the FWD Ea82 5MT internals are the same as EA82 FWD internals. there are many differences in mounting and shift linkage.

Skimmed it and thought he was talking about the 2wd cars.