Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Charcoal canister removal?

JackV

What do you have to do exactly to remove the charcoal canister on my 87 rx? just pull the lines or are there vacuum lines that i have to worry about?

that canister is there to contain the gas vapors from the gas tank due to expansion, and evaporation. When you start the car, those vapors are drawn into the engine and burned off. It reduces pollution(emissions). You will see no benefit by removing it.

There is one line that should be coming from the gas tank and going to the canister. Leave that open near the firewall. All other lines you can pull and cap off where u see fit. As already said it wont gain you anything but it does clean up the bay a bit without so many lines running all directions.

that canister is there to contain the gas vapors from the gas tank due to expansion, and evaporation. When you start the car, those vapors are drawn into the engine and burned off. It reduces pollution(emissions). You will see no benefit by removing it.

No benefit in leaving it there either.

No benefit in leaving it there either.

The bebnifit is reduced emissions due to the reduction of the gas vapor(hydrocarbons) being released. If it were mine, or I should say, if I wanted to clean up the engine bay, I'd move the canister. Most cars now have them behind the fender where you can't even see them.

I guess if you really wanted to clean up things, you could gut the cat, removed the egr, cut down every tree you see, and pour all your old oil right in your front yard(next to the the well would be best) :rolleyes:

:grin:

The bebnifit is reduced emissions due to the reduction of the gas vapor(hydrocarbons) being released. If it were mine, or I should say, if I wanted to clean up the engine bay, I'd move the canister. Most cars now have them behind the fender where you can't even see them.

I guess if you really wanted to clean up things, you could gut the cat, removed the egr, cut down every tree you see, and pour all your old oil right in your front yard(next to the the well would be best) :rolleyes:

:grin:

Like I said, no benefit to leaving it either.

we all have to worry about emissions, but that's another topic all together..:)

I'll burn a couple of old mud tires just for you.

we all have to worry about emissions, but that's another topic all together..:)

for the time being i could care less about emissions, Until my state starts doing emissions testing i'm removing everything i can to clean the engine bay. Cats are already gone, EGR is going to get removed even though it wont clean things up it's stuck closed anyways so no point in having it.