Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Won't Start

I drove this car regularly, then several months ago after it sat for about 3 weeks, it began having trouble starting due to a low battery. I jumped it, and drove it around some, but then after I'd park it for a few minutes, it wouldn't want to start. I was able to get it started with starting fluid, but couldn't drive it every day as I deemed it to be an unreliable vehicle. So every few weeks, I'd jump it, use the starting fluid to get it started, and drive it around some. I did this about three times. The other day I tried to do it again, but this time, I could not keep it started. It seemed to burn the starting fluid, and then die. I guess it could be a lot of things, maybe a pump, or a sensor, or maybe fuel injectors? I put a bit of fuel stabilizer in it and that didn't seem to help. Put a couple of gallons of fresh gas and still nothing. I like to drive this car in the winter, and winter is coming up, so I want to get on it. What should I do next?

It sounds like perhaps there are multiple failure's going on here. It frankly could be a lot of things. Coolant temp sensor malfunction, Idle air control valve sticking..... weak fuel pump would be down a ways on my list as I've never seen that happen in our climate but if you want to check it you'll need a pressure gauge..... the pump is located back by the fuel tank. It should run 21 psi if the regulator is working properly.

When was the last time it had a new fuel filter? I doubt that's the problem but......

Where are you located? Perhaps I could drop in and take a quick look at it for you. That's a pretty tough issue to diagnose over the internet.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 2 weeks later...