Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a 1999 Outback at an auction, two of the wheel studs on the RR are broken off. So that tire is being held on with only three lug nuts.... Any good suggestion on how to fix?

Get another hub at the junk yard??? or Remove the hub and take it to a shop with a press? Anyone know of a good place to take it to in Seattle???

Where can you buy wheel stud for a 1999 Legacy?

:confused:

Thanks!

Edited by mr.radon
hub bolts - whel studs

Got a 1999 Outback at an auction, two of the wheel studs on the RR are broken off. So that tire is being held on with only three lug nuts.... Any good suggestion on how to fix?

Get another hub at the junk yard??? or Remove the hub and take it to a shop with a press? Anyone know of a good place to take it to in Seattle???

Where can you buy wheel stud for a 1999 Legacy?Thanks!

tapping the lug stud out of the hub isn't hard and using the lug nuts to pull it back in is easy too. the question is if you have enough room / clearence between the hub and the knuckle to get the old one out and the new one in.

i watched a mechanic do it on my 95 lego, rear i think, he had to work it around but got it with out removing any thing else, maybe. matbe the tone ring had to come off, maybe.

Where can you buy wheel stud for a 1999 Legacy?

:confused:

Thanks!

You might try Smart Service; they have a shop in Shoreline and another in Mukilteo. I'm sure they could sell you the studs and might even tell you if it's something you can do yourself. Google the name to find an address and phone number.

Otherwise, visit Pull a Part in Lynnwood and look for the newest Legacy in the yard. Pull the wheel, put a nut on the stud to protect the threads and hit it with a hammer to get it started. If you can work a few studs out, they're almost free for the taking. And it'll give you practice to on how to do it on your Legacy.

i've installed them before on XT6's roy, doesn't take anything but reaching back there, inserting them (usually VERY tight, but they fit), then pulling them through with a lug nut.

if you don't have room it probably is just as easy to install another used hub considering you don't have rust out there destroying them all! i'd probably do that over taking it somewhere or disassembling the actual hubs/bearings if it came to that.

If replacing studs is your plan, you may want to consider replacing all 5 studs.

I wonder how the 2 studs failed.

Was the wheel subject to an excessive sideways force, e.g. by hitting a kerb?

And did this cause damage to one or more of the remaining 3 studs?

A visual inspection won't tell you enough; there may be hidden cracks in the studs.

If replacing studs is your plan, you may want to consider replacing all 5 studs.

I wonder how the 2 studs failed.

Was the wheel subject to an excessive sideways force, e.g. by hitting a kerb?

And did this cause damage to one or more of the remaining 3 studs?

A visual inspection won't tell you enough; there may be hidden cracks in the studs.

I discovered that not allowing the local tire shop to remount my summer/winter wheels led to a decrease in broken or cross threaded studs. Since then I do it myself or insist that they torque them to the proper amount rather than using the air gun.

Fixed! :banana:

I got the parts off RockAuto.

RAYBESTOS Part # 27837B (you need to look for Wheel Stud)

Bought 10 since shipping was flat for 5 or 10 or 15.

The rear was interesting as the tone wheel and drum brake (e-brakes) were in the way to knock out the old studs and insert the new ones. Once I got the one pad out of the way (you don't have to remove it) it wasn't too hard to knock out the stud. Had an air hammer but tried the hand version first which quickly got the job done.

To reinstall I had a bunch of fat washers that I stacked up, then flipped an old lug nut around to jack the new wheel stud in place. Got it started with a wrench then used my impact wrench on full power till the stud was seated flush to the hub.

The front was easier as that just required removing the tone wheel.

The whole job took about an hour.

Now I have 7 studs left just in case....