Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hyrdrolic clutch for EA81?

Mr. Brat

It's been done for WRX swaps. The turbo transmissions are already setup for it. I don't know of anyone converting a cable clutch tranny to hydro though - that hasn't been done that I know of. I would look at the newer non-turbo's and see how they did those as the turbo hydro clutch system is quite a bit different - so much so that the transmission is physically different as well as the entire clutch assembly, flywheel, etc.

If you clutch is hard then your cable is shot or improperly routed. The hydro clutches are not any different feeling than the cable's. In fact my turbo has a heavier hydro clutch than any of my EA81's.

GD

Has anyone installed or heard of anyone installing a hyrdrolic slave cylinder? Im tired of the hard clutch pedal...

hi, i have had several ea-81 vehicles that the clutch cable seemed hard to push and in every case it went away once the cable failed and was replaced with a new factory one.

My cable clutch is very easy to press compared to other EA81s ive driven. Ive heard worn out cables are usually the reason for it. My cable now has just over 100k on it so its still fairly young. I would invest in a new cable and make sure there is no binding in it before trying something like that.

The cables are typically dry-lubed with a powder. The inner sheath of the cable is nylon and once they begin to break down added lubrication is only a temporary fix. With OEM cables being very cheap I don't see the point in going to the trouble of a temp fix unless I'm in the sticks and I fear it's going to break on me (doesn't happen cause all my cables are new and/or get replaced at the first sign of "tightness").

GD

I have put a new cable in it, I was just trying to get rid of having to adjust it. I am looking at the 2.2 or 2.5 swap. I have a d/r 5 spd. If nobody has done it im not going to worry about it. I figured I would through it out there and see if it has been done.