Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early this summer, bought this car 93 impreza drove it just a few times noticed temp never got to half way on gauge. now that it almost winter,the temp gauge never starts to raise & i have no heat? Bad mixture a coolant? I havent checked to see if someone took out the thermostast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sounds like someone removed the thermostat or it's stuck.

get a Subaru thermostat, that could be the problem, someone previously replaced it with an aftermarket which look like tin toys next to the Subaru units. aftermarket tstats are known to cause issues sometimes. but even if it is Subaru it could be 15+ years old.

• 3 weeks later...

alright, replaced thermostat & gasket,new anti freeze 50/50mix ,took about 15 min idling the temp gauge finally registered on the gauge half way,still no heat. with the rad cap off i never really see the water rushing while recirculating,bad water pump? but that would cause over heating? if i rev the engine i get a little spurt of heat but its quick. whats the sensor i should check,Thanks ric

alright, replaced thermostat & gasket,new anti freeze 50/50mix ,took about 15 min idling the temp gauge finally registered on the gauge half way,still no heat. with the rad cap off i never really see the water rushing while recirculating,bad water pump? but that would cause over heating? if i rev the engine i get a little spurt of heat but its quick. whats the sensor i should check,Thanks ric

When was the water pump last replaced?

Cheers

AP

With the motor warmed up, and your heater controls put on high, put your hands around the heater hoses near the firewall Do both hoses feel warm? If not, the small radiator (can't think of it's proper name) inside the firewall is partially plugged up, and not allowing proper flow of the coolant, so heat output is poor.

You may have an air bubble in your cooling system after changing antifreeze. If so, you need to "burp" out the bubble to give proper coolant flow through the cooling system. This too, could cause poor heating.