Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its not to bad of a job....The EZ30 has one of the exhaust pipes close to the pan which makes it a tad difficult to get to one of the bolts but as you mentioned you have the standard 2.5...They are correct though. No gasket. I usually use the red gasket sealer we have in our parts dept. There all 10mm bolts. If you do decide to do it yourself. Make sure you have ALL of the old gasket sealer material off the pan and the trans before you apply the new and put the pan back up...I usually use a wire wheel to get rid of all the crud. Also clean out the pan pretty well with some brakleen or the like and when you retighten the bolts make sure they are lined up perfectly and do not use power tools..these bolts break VERY EASILY if overtightened or crossthreaded...The job can def. be done by a shade tree mechanic...;)

replace the o-ring on the bottom of the trans filler dipstick tube first. No need to drain fluid or anything, just undo the 10mm bolt head holding the trans dipstick tube to the transmission housing, find the smashed brittle deformed oring, and replace with a "ATF, gas, oil resistant" oring of same size.

Then test for leaks after wiping off the old ATF leaks.

I bet that is a good chance for the source of your leak.

edit. I think there is a middle support bracket also up near the starter that holds the tube as well,

Edited by bheinen74

Any of the common RTV's will do the job. I use ultra grey as it's sensor safe but there are other's that are as well.

There aren't a lot of "gaskets" in modern engines anymore. Seals and sealants mostly. High tech sealants have replaced gaskets for a lot of things - the oil pan's being one of them (engine and tranny).

GD

It is really important to remove all remnants of old pan sealant with a wire brush. Any remnants left on any surface will cause a leak upon reassembly. I learned this lesson the hard way.

It is very helpful to get the car up off the ground to do the pan work. Otherwise, there is just minimum ground clearance to do the work. I use plastic drive up ramps to raise the front of my car off the ground. The ramps work great.