Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why was the SVX only offered with an automatic?Theres a real nice one for sale locally but the automatic voids my "you can't pay me enough to drive an automatic" statement.The SVX is a cool car,but I could never own one because it has a automatic.

Although how hard would it be to swap in some manual transmission?Are there trim pieces from other subaru's that would fit?Same with clutch components?

Although right now it would be really hard to justify a buying a $3900 car, then ripping its transmission out...

A few have been convered to manual. There was a company a few years ago in WA that sold kits to do it. Basically it's like any other Subaru auto to manual swap. The interior isn't much of an issue as you just pull the auto shifter out and put a leather boot in it's place as most of the later EJ's are already setup that way. The biggest change is adding the master cylinder for the clutch and changing the pedal assembly, etc. As most of the right vintage parts for this kind of swap are now availible in the junk yards it wouldn't be hard at all.

GD

A few have been convered to manual. There was a company a few years ago in WA that sold kits to do it. Basically it's like any other Subaru auto to manual swap. The interior isn't much of an issue as you just pull the auto shifter out and put a leather boot in it's place as most of the later EJ's are already setup that way. The biggest change is adding the master cylinder for the clutch and changing the pedal assembly, etc. As most of the right vintage parts for this kind of swap are now availible in the junk yards it wouldn't be hard at all.

GD

It's NOWHERE near as easy as swapping a Legacy or Impreza from auto to manual. The pedal cluster needs a bracket added to it for the front bolt that's up under the dash, the shift linkage also needs to be lengthened. You also have to find a place for the clutch master cylinder (That's not too hard though) and you need to either build a custom crossmember, or purchase one, as the 5 speed crossmember doesn't just bolt in. (One of the guys on the SVX board sells a really solid well-made one for $500). I've got most of the stuff to convert mine, I need a bearing for the transmission I have + I need to find a 4.44 LSD to go with it.