Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting from an auto choke to a manual one

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm sick of the auto one, and want a bit more control!

A guide with pictures would be great, as I'm pretty useless when it comes to messing about with carbs, but would love to be able to do it!

I've got an 1989 DL wagon with an EA82, Hitachi Carb.

Cheers guys :)

Well - here in the states they sell manual choke conversion kits for about $10 or so. It's just a plastic cover that replaces the choke spring housing. It's got a hole in it that a lever goes through and then you attach a cable to the lever and away you go. I did one to an EA81 Hitachi - wasn't hard at all really.

The problem you run into is that the "throw" of the tiny lever is so short that there's not a lot of feel to the choke control. The pull knob in the cabin only moves about 3/4" from full open to full close. I never corrected this but you could if you made the lever longer..... I pulled the carb off and went with a used Weber DGV-5A that I rebuilt. It was designed for a manual choke and has a lot longer throw to the choke control. The knob moves about 2" from full open to full close.

Just pickup one of those kits from like summitracing, or wherever you shop in NZ..... should have instructions that you can mostly follow. I think I made a few small improvements to the kit I bought as it was cheesy and cheap and I tightened up it's action with a few modifications. I still have the carb but I don't use it - don't use the Hitachi's for anything anymore.

GD

84 & 85 models in Aus (ie the last of the leaded petrol versions) had a "semi-auto" manual choke as standard. ie you pulled it out, but it automatically retracted when the car was hot enough.

Fitted in the biggish blanking plate to the lower left of the steering wheel.

I think I've still got a dashboard loom at home that has the electrical connections for the dashboard (the wires can be added quite easily), but I don't have the cable or handle though.

Ha, maybe, but $1300 NZ is pretty freaking expensive for a few more ponies!

You must be looking at the wrong thing. I thought...maybe the exchange rate is that bad but no i just checked. It should be in the neighborhood of 350-400 for a new weber carb over there. You sure u didnt stumble across an entire engine or car with a weber attached?

• 2 weeks later...
Might just be easier to import one from the states perhaps?

might very well be at that price. Shipping would hurt you quite a bit though..

Hey GD (or anyone else who'd like to chime in) how do you remove the spring housing cover on an ea82?? I bought a manual conversion but can't ssem to remove that cover :-\

Regarding the Weber Carb upgrade, go through these guys. I've spoken with them on the phone several times and Jim, one of the owners, is extremely knowledgable. If you have power steering you must choose between keeping it and having a manual choke or having an auto choke and no P/S. If you order a carb for a car with P/S make sure you call to order it so they can include the manual choke.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1985-1987-1-8L-OHC-EA82-Weber-Carb-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cec9cf593QQitemZ330387223955QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm pretty fed up with my Hitachi, just rebuilt the motor and it's got lot's of attitude. Buying a Redline from them next month if not sooner.