Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prices/rareness? 91 turbo leg 5 speed in the junkyard

A buddy of mine just found a 91 turbo leg in the junkyard near us. Its complete with a 5 speed and the Ej22T and all. First off i know this is an uncommon car. How much does the motor go for in the market? And the transmission? What (if anything) should i pull. I was debating pulling the entire motor and tranny as a whole...possibly the rear diff (lsd?). Let me know.

You can get $500-600 for the block. The rest of the engine isn't worth much.

The trans isn't worth a whole lot, it's pull clutch like a wrx, but has the older style narrow gears old synchros.

The rear lsd might be worth a few hundred if it's not the one with the old style axles, that one doesn't work in much but old legacys. Not all T legs have LSD.

It will have a VLSD rear - only '91's came with them. The axle issue can be overcome simply by installing the '91 axles or DOJ cups into whatever car you are putting the diff into.

It also will have an oil cooler between the pump and the filter which is nice to grab.

The up-pipe in the exhaust is the same part as used on the STi's. It's catless so also desireable.

If you pull the block, inspect it carefully. The old block that came from my car had melted part of the cylinder liner and was pretty chewed on the bottom end. I still traded it for a $350 turbo for my new engine though.

The transmission isn't wanted - as noted they are weaker than the WRX tranny's which pretty much bolt in place for them anyway.

GD

Well so much for that idea. They want way too much for the block to make it reasonable for me to pull it since i probably wouldnt be using it anyways. Oh well. If i was actually going to use it myself then it would be a deal but i was just going to pull it and resell it. Cant justify all day outside in the cold pulling a motor that may or may not be good.