Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 1st subie! I have q's!

I have an 86 turbo 4wd wagon 5spd...here goes...

1. my trip meter in the digital dash resets everytime the car is turned off...anyone know why?

2. my headlights/park lights dont work when the ignition is off...is this normal?

3. my trip computer display is hardly visible...day or night. any ideas?

4. there is a ticking on the passenger side of the engine...i hear this is common...its relatively loud and annoying! what is it?

5. is there any lockers or lsd on the factory 4wd?

6. i have an autometer water temp guage...where is the sender? (i hear there is 2. 1 for the guage and 1 for the ecu) i need the one for the guage.

7. where is a good place to tap for an oil cooler?

8. how fast/strong/reliable can these engines be? i will probably keep the stock turbo and eventually after IC and OC, up the compression and run 12-14psi. any hp/torque #s or 1/4 mi times would help...

I tried to search the forum, but I couldnt find the info I needed plus i wanted to meet other subie owners! thanks

1. Dunno

2. Its supposed to be that way

3. normal.. sounds like the light bulbs are out

4. normal. search for 'lifter tick' or 'ticking

5. Locker-no. LSD-yes.. search for "LSD"

Heres a good LSD thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/usmb/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10952&highlight=LSD

6. sender is on the goose neck for the T-stat. Left side, right next to where you put oil in it.

7. Dunno

8. Higher compression + 12-14 PSI = BOOM! .. I wouldn't do it, but since its not mine... go ahead :)

The trip computer display is similiar to the dash clock of a standard gl I think, but I can't quite remember. Anyway the solders crack on the circuit board behind the display. If you resolder the connections it should work again. however sometimes resistors/capacitors burn out and you'd have to replace them or find another trip computer. I had the same problem with the dash clock and fixed it this way. There is a writeup somewhere out there.

0h and stock hp is 115 at around 5000, tq is 134 at around 3000rpm. Estimations are that with a boost controller ic and exhaust work including downpipe, around 150 or more hp is possible with the stock engine internals and computer.

As far as the lsd goes, your car probably doesn't have it, as it only came in wagons during '89 or so. RX's have lsds however, and you can snag one of those and bolt it in place of your old rear diff. LSDs have a 3.7 final ratio. Your car is likely a 3.7 but I would check. If it is a 3.9 then you will have to convert the lsd to 3.9. Theres a writeup in the USRM for that.

Originally posted by nutt7

I have an 86 turbo 4wd wagon 5spd...here goes...

1. my trip meter in the digital dash resets everytime the car is turned off...anyone know why?

>>i would think it had to do with the trip computer, maybe a constant memory wire? like the one on the radio

2. my headlights/park lights dont work when the ignition is off...is this normal?

>>the lights are inoperable with the key off, so you wont ever have to worry about draining the battery when you park. there is a switch on the top od the steering column that will let you use the parking lights with thekey off. dont leave it on and forget!!

3. my trip computer display is hardly visible...day or night. any ideas?>>the clock/trip display grounds by direct contact. it just pops out, use the same stuff(dielectric grease?) for that, like on some ign modules(GM, FORD)

4. there is a ticking on the passenger side of the engine...i hear this is common...its relatively loud and annoying! what is it?

>>the noise is fairly common. it can be a sign of a bad oil pump seal, consider replacement of the seal for good measure. but if you fix that and the noise is still there, suspect the lifter itself. but a noisy lifter is more an annoyance than a mechanical issue to worry about(if the oil pump checks out ok

5. is there any lockers or lsd on the factory 4wd?

>>since yours is turbo, it has a 3.7 final gear. LSD came as options in some models, standard in 87 and up RX, and 89 GL-10 turbo. all are 3.7 except for turbo legacy and xt6(if equipped)

6. i have an autometer water temp guage...where is the sender?

(i hear there is 2. 1 for the guage and 1 for the ecu) i need the one for the guage.

>>the guage is on the lower half of the thermostat housing, the ecu one is on the back of the intake by the turbo

7. where is a good place to tap for an oil cooler?

I would say have it come off the turbo oil return line(the rubber hose that dumps from the turbo to the head, in back) and have it drain into a tap made into the oil pan. there are aftermarket kits that will fit on the oil filter mount

8. how fast/strong/reliable can these engines be? i will probably keep the stock turbo and eventually after IC and OC, up the compression and run 12-14psi. any hp/torque #s or 1/4 mi times would help...

I tried to search the forum, but I couldnt find the info I needed plus i wanted to meet other subie owners! thanks

>>alld ay long to 7000 rpms is fine on the bottom end. you can swap in a cerb bottom end for slightly more compression, without compromising knock and ping(stiock setup)

I too had the 'subaru tappet' when I first got Kate. I was hoping it was the oil pump seal as well, but upon closer inspection of the pump itself, there was clearly some wear there. Subtle, but there. I'd definitely recommend checking the pump itself for wear...

my zwei pfennig,

-Dok

Ok, here goes my answers....

1. That I dont know, mine does it sometimes.

2. This is normal. on 85/86 subarus, the park lights are on the headlight switch, push down and rotate counterclock wise. Miles is right with that he said, but that only applies for 87+ subaurs.

3. You must have your lights on all the time, in this case, the headlight switch again. The first knob twists, that adjusts the brightness of the dash and such.

4. That ticking is the hydraulic valve lash adjusters. Replacing oil seals, or regualarly changing you oil will cure the noise.

5. Lockers, no. LSD yes. Options on any 4wd subaru. Standard on RX and the 1989 GL-10 turbo Full Time 4WD wagons (sedans too?)

6. T-stat housing. There is a sender there. Simply plug hook the connector there. My VOD says 200 deg F when in actuality the car is at 180.

7. DO NOT DO THAT. Sorry Miles, you are wrong here. I have oil cooler adapters avalible. See this thread: http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8705&highlight=oil+cooler+adapter

8. Reliable, yes. As long as you use proper cooling and oiling items. See this thread: http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10738&highlight=performance+thread

Also, i posted about 141 est crank HP with my setup. 99.6 or so at the wheels. A stock RX running 10 psi posted 83 or so, 118 crank.

1. Mine does it too, something with the dash, the digital one are known to be a little problematic

2.Normal, on my 86 you can turn on the clearance lights with the car off by pushing in the headlight switch and turning to the left

3.Mine was dim too, got some new lightbulbs for it and good as new.

4. common, lash adjusters, as long as they don't tick to long.

5.I got my lsd out of an RX just check the ratios to make sure, 3.70 is the most common but I have heard that there are 3.9s somewhere

6.blah

7.blah

8. I think pretty stong, 12-14 psi seems like a lot of boost to me, just rember that you are driving a wagon. just kidding.

Enjoy the bliss that is subaru