Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing an lsd in the front diff

Pooparu

I'm sure there is a way to install a lsd in the front part of the diff on an EJ transmission, right?

Do I have to use a vlsd or can I use a clutch pack type?

Also how the heck do you do it?

Thanks in advance the Subaru gods that answer this one.:grin:

You have to split the tranny. Then you have to get an LSD that fits. I'm sure they sell them but the rear diff units are too small. The rear's are Hitachi R160's and the front's are similar in design so maybe an R180 or R200 LSD would fit? That's just an educated guess from what I've seen of the internals.

It also will require installing new tapered roller bearings on the front diff and resetting the R&P clearances. Not hard per-se, but something that does require a bit of knowledge and some tools.

If you have never opened a Subaru transaxle - best leave it to the transmission experts.

GD

You have to use a front LSD, no rear LSD units will fit. There are a lot of aftermarket units made for the WRX front diffs, which are the sane as the regular Legacy and even the EA82 front diffs. There was a huge thread about this not long ago, I forget what it was called exactly but it went something like: Front Diff interchangeability: The true answer. Searche it ;)

-Bill

yea, only a few of the highest-performance jdm 5-speeds had a front LSD. so getting a used factory one would not be easy.

All subaru 5-speed front diffs are interchangeable though. And there are many aftermarket front diff options. Ranging from the cheap (in every way. I have seen tell of them fail, with reasonable power/usage) OBX, all the way to Quaife helical ones (couple grand!).

if my next subaru-powered project ever gets going, it will be using a FWD 5-speed. and I plan to run this STi front diff:

http://japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=41&submit.y=10&NUMBER=00002191&VOLUME=1005G-019-083&DEALER=1&CAR=&MIDDLE=1&SMALL=19&MAKER=4&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=&SEARCH_MIDDLE=1&SEARCH_SMALL=19&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=

You have to use a front LSD, no rear LSD units will fit. There are a lot of aftermarket units made for the WRX front diffs, which are the sane as the regular Legacy and even the EA82 front diffs. There was a huge thread about this not long ago, I forget what it was called exactly but it went something like: Front Diff interchangeability: The true answer. Searche it ;)

-Bill

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49241

stay away from phantom grip. There has been major issues with them blowing up entire transmissions. The way they are designed the put massive strain on the Pinion shaft causing it to crack and grenade...

If you were going to put LsD up front you'd want to go with teh carrier type that is used in the STi's

the EJ front diffs are the same in EA's for auto's as well.

i think it's covered in that other thread, sift through there. there's a few, but i don't know them off the top of my head. ebay almost always has some for sale, i'd imagine some for auto have to be on there?

google?