Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heating Problems

how do u flush the heater core? my other ea81 was much hotter then this. seems to flow threw ok. i think it could be better but the hottness is warm not really hot. its been 10 to 15 degrees here which i was thinking maybe y but i figuired id ask.

thanks

from an old post of mine...

"Remove both heater hoses to your heater core, go buy a garden hose repair end and install it on a short piece of heater hose. Screw your garden hose on and clamp the little hose you made onto your heater core. Turn on the water just a little, and gradually increase the flow/pressure untill you get a solid flow out of the other heater core pipe, I like to kink the hose in my hand and slowly release it. Then put the hose on the other heater hose pipe to reverse the flow. Keep in mind that the pressure in your coolant system is usually around 13-16 psi, and your house water pressure could be 40-80 psi. SO if you just crank it up you could very well blow your heater core and fill your floorboards with water! I usually turn the water up and krimp the hose with my hand, slowly opening it up to incease flow. I have done this on my last 6 vehicle and it worked!"

a062a71da915064e

Edited by Frank B

Heres another question. How do you guys flush the heatercore with those hoses being so short, and not causeing a huge mess.

Disconnect them both from the engine and tuck one down towards the ground, connect the garden hose to the other and slowly open it up. unless you drown the carb or distributor, the mess is no big deal.

You could just disconnect them from the barbs on the firewall, and add several feet of hose to the discharge side when you flush. Got an old hose laying around?

I just flushed mine recently and since I didn't have the flush kit adapter, I had to just use the garden hose. Yes, it makes a mess but you can pull the hoses to the passenger side of the engine to avoid getting the distributor wet. Mine was so clogged that I barely had a trickle at first, then after about 45 minutes of flushing it back and forth I managed to get about 60% more flow. I now have a LOT more heat but the core needs another try. I have heard that you can use drano, then flush it really well, then use baking soda to neutralize the drano. I don't know if it's the greatest idea but it would sure beat yanking off the dash to replace the core...