Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX winter build

vagen

I'm pretty happy with the power in my RX but the suspension leaves some to be desired. My plan is to take Numbchux Idea of Miata struts in the back and go a step further. I have a full set of Miata R package struts and a set of coil overs that will be going on my RX. The front struts will have to have a slight modification to fit (Lower mounting eye will have to go). I am hoping to add a larger rear sway bar for better turn in. Once the suspension is done I will turn my focus to the clutch which is slipping a bit in top gear at 11psi. after the clutch comes the fender flares and custom 13x7 wheels.

that is my winter build plan

Looks to me like he is only going to be using the clamp bolt on the knuckle to hold the bottom of the Miata struts in the front, and he has custom strut tops for the front that gave him some nice - camber and a little extra - caster. If it were me, I'd prolly try to weld a tab onto the struts like on the stock EA82 front struts. the rears, from what I read in Chux's threads are pretty much bolt-in with minor mods.

EA82 front knuckles are almost identical in design to the EA81 knuckles.

-Bill

the modification I need to do the the coil overs is. I need to open the center hole to fit over the pressed fit collar on the strut this will allow more bolt length to attach the strut to the car. or I need to pull that collar off the strut. I will look at that tomorrow. Once everything is sorted I will install these struts. I expect to see a 3 inch reduction in ride height with good bump travel.

If it were me, I'd prolly try to weld a tab onto the struts like on the stock EA82 front struts.

EA82 front knuckles are almost identical in design to the EA81 knuckles.

-Bill

Ok thats what i was thinking. I couldnt figure out how he was going to secure it other than the pinch bolt. I dont think i would weld on a strut ever. Thats compressed gas in there and if you heat it up enough with a welder it could explode.

Ok my 2 cents if you have the means please do yourself a favor and go 5 lug with Legacy/Impreza knuckles on the front it opens up a world of suspension options. Check out suberdave's GL-10 @

http://www.suberdave.com/subaru/Leone/index.htm

for an example. Evan the stuff 'Chux was working on in his suspension thread was related to the back of the car as his car was 5 lugged.

Whatever options you choose Good luck and happy Handling with your project.

Kaz

Ive considered 5 lug for my own car but i gotta say (a bit ashamed to admit this) but the main reason i dont is i love my Enkeis so much. By far my favorite 4x140 wheel. I like the way your RX looks with em! BTW what size and brand tire are you running? They look wider than 175/70/r13.

I'm thinking it will not fit the knuckle more and more so I will hedge my bet and buy a pair of 1995 galant front struts. I am fairly confident the galant strut will fit the knuckle but I'm not sure about the damping. I guess we will see.

Edited by vagen

just my 2 cents worth.

sounds like a neat build.

but, one thing you need to consider before even thinking about changing suspension (I.E. swapping suspension for 5-lug conversion) is whether that is allowed in the rules for the class your running in, of course this only applies if your concern with points and winning a championship. that kind of modification wouldn't be allowed in a stock or some cases even a street prepared or improved touring class (SCCA). I'm assuming you can run coil overs.

looking at that picture tells me you use a bigger sway bar, not sure whats available for a subaru but you can always have some made.

Again this is just my 2 cents. doesn't mean much but thought i would mention it and i'm not sure what group your autocrossing with either.

my background: before i gave it up for due to life issues (divorce, kids and being single father of 2) mid 80's to mid 90's. i use to autocross and road race a datsun 510, been thinking about autocrossing my 61 austin mini though when its finished.

Edited by chazmataz

As of the last autocross (when the photo was taken) I am still using stock RX swaybars. I will be changing them out for stiffer XT6 bars very soon. This car is running in a modified class so prettymuch anything goes. I don't want to go to 5 lug because I would end up with a higher ride height. The 5 lug struts are longer than the 4 lug ones.

I don't want to go to 5 lug because I would end up with a higher ride height. The 5 lug struts are longer than the 4 lug ones.

I had the control arms as close to level as I dared (roll-center starts getting pretty high), and never bottomed out the front struts (except that time I baja'd the snow bank while ice racing).

AND, with a 5-lug swap, you could get a roll-center adjustment kit, so you'd have much better suspension geometry.

Up to you, but I was 5-lugged for a couple years, and strut length was never the limiting factor when lowering.

I have 3 sets of 13 inch wheels all with different race tires on them and all in good condition. this is a big part of why I'm sticking with 4 lug. I am planning to go 5 lug at some point but 15 inch wheels in 5 lug are oddly hard to find in the style and offset I like.

I have installed the rear struts and 450 lb/in springs. No more bottoming out on every little bump YAY! I'll take photos this weekend when I start in on the front.