Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many wire Oxygen sensor?

I am going to replace both O2 sensors on my wagon to try to eliminate a few problems. I see there are several different types listed for my car. I just want to know if anyone has replaced theirs and how many wires there are?

It is snowy/rainy here and about 30 degrees. I am too much of a wimp to crawl under to look. I want to have them ready to go in when I clear a spot in the the garage.

Thanks

2000 Outback Limited

5pd

Nobody has had success with an aftermarket part in the front? $130 plus shipping is alot of dough.

I won't say nobody but if you do a search here, there are enough incident reports where codes are thrown and problems had and it leads back to aftermarket front O2 sensors.

BTW, what are the symptoms you are having with your 2000 that you are trying to cure by throwing sensors at it??:-\

It has been giving me the code for "catalyst efficiency below threshold". I have heard alot of people here claim that it is the cat that is bad. I have also heard alot of people tell me to replace the O2 sensors first. I figured the O2 sensors were easier and cheaper than to replace the cat. We will see if it works. I took a chance and ordered a 4 wire universal for the front. I have a 2 wire here for the rear. I am going to replace both and clear the codes and see what happens.

Nobody has had success with an aftermarket part in the front? $130 plus shipping is alot of dough.

I consider myself quite good with a soldering iron, so I bought one of the universal A/F (ie front) sensors for my 2001 OBW to correct a "heater circuit malfunction" (I don't recall the OBD code). That did not correct the problem, so after double checking all the wiring for the front sensor I ended up replacing the rear sensor. That did not correct the problem either. Took it to the Subaru dealer. They installed a genuine Subaru A/F (front) sensor and the problem was fixed. I would definitely get a genuine Subaru sensor for the front. I had seen the recommendation before I replaced it, but chose to take my chances. Obviously that didn't pay off.

Tough call... a lot of variables being thrown into the mix. Quite possible it is only the front O2 sensor but you'll never know if you replace the front and rear with after market and have the experience as the one poster which was solved only after changing the front sensor... you may end up later changing the cat to find out that you still have the problem... related to a faulty front O2 sensor...

Yea, I took a chance and I may be posting later about how dumb I was. I only paid $60 for the front sensor. I am going to try it anyway. If it still throws the code I will try to replace the front again with genuine Subaru before I take the step to replace the cat. I plan on selling this car ASAP.

You guys are probably right but I figured I would take the chance. I read my codes again yesterday. The "fan rationality check" and the "fuel level sensor" codes never came back from the last time I cleared them. I dumped in some more Sea Foam and cleared the catalyst code again. I will let it ride for a little bit and see if it comes back before installing the sensors. Will post back with update.

Yea, I took a chance and I may be posting later about how dumb I was. I only paid $60 for the front sensor. I am going to try it anyway. If it still throws the code I will try to replace the front again with genuine Subaru before I take the step to replace the cat. I plan on selling this car ASAP.

if it does not work, use the generic one from the front, on the rear.

question for all:

the rear o2 sensor is original, is there any sense in moving it to the front, swap connectors of course. it has the same age as the bad front one, but does it have the same wear and tear??