Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 hatch runs good then starts cuting out at low rpm's

ran perfect 35 miles to work, started to come hone runs fine at idle but heitates and cuts out at low rpm's. once at high rpm it seems ok. hard to get going from a start. then days later runs fine again to work with same problem in afternoon. everything else is normal. replaced primary fuel filter with no change. What do you think?

you changed the fuel filter by the gas tank right?

uh.. yeah that would be the primary filter, as stated above :lol:

it did this the other day, then the car sat for a day or two, and i drove my truck to work. then yesterday, i figure ill pull it in the garage and try and see whats up, thinking maybe fuel pumps on its way out or something. it fires right up, runs perfect. let it run for an hour, couldnt get it to do it again?? drove it to work yesterday, no problems 35 miles one way. i got out of work, as soon as i started it up, it was acting up again. WTF??

few weeks ago, i changed the egr from an 88 ea81 hatch, and put it into my 87 hatch. the 88 had a vacuum line on the egr, mine doesnt. not sure this could be related, because ive put prob 500+ miles on it w/o a problem, but just throwing it out there. my old egr went, and melted the plastic fuel vapor condesor ball thing that is between the egr and the air filter housing. i also replaced that with one borrowed from my buddys car.. any ideas?

what should an ea81 be putting out for fuel pressure at the front (secondary) fuel filter? for some reason, i think this is a fuel related issue, but im kind of stumped...

Edited by themoneypit

is at lower rpms or just idle??? try loadn up the engine when it starts acting up. (like 30mph in 5th and floor it for like 5 seconds) idk but when my carb acted up like that i would do that and that seemed to solve temporarily until it would do it again a different day. does it cut out at low rpm when you get on it or give it any gas??