Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 99 legacy gt seems to be dumping its power steering fluid somewhere. I don't see anything around the pump or the lines but I haven't had time to get underneath it yet.I have been noticing some strange feedback from the front wheels lately as well. They are intermittently hard to turn at low speeds, slow to return to center, and seems to want to wander. I've checked the tie rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings at all four corners and can't find any play. There is a slight clunking sound heard when I jog the steering wheel. I am starting to lean towards a crapped out steering rack. Any thoughts, hints, smacks to the back of the head?

Miles and how long has it been doing this, how quickly loosing fluid?

I would assume significant fluid loss and steering issues could be related.

check below the power steering pump. there's an oring at the base of the reservoir that is very typical to leak but it shows up as fluid dripping down on top of the engine from the pump. very easy to replace.

other than that if you're loosing fluid just need to look and see where.

If you end up needing a steering rack, just get a used one. They are very easy to install and almost never fail. They're a dime a dozen because there's no demand for them. I don't even bother removing them from parts cars.

If you have the OE splashguard still in place under the engine, it has an absorbent pad that is probably intended to dampen sound, but it can catch leaks like oil, coolant, and power steering fluid that would otherwise drip on the ground and be obvious. If in place, remove it at least temporarily and see if a leak then becomes easier to detect.

• 2 weeks later...
My 99 legacy gt seems to be dumping its power steering fluid somewhere. I don't see anything around the pump or the lines but I haven't had time to get underneath it yet.I have been noticing some strange feedback from the front wheels lately as well. They are intermittently hard to turn at low speeds, slow to return to center, and seems to want to wander. I've checked the tie rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings at all four corners and can't find any play. There is a slight clunking sound heard when I jog the steering wheel. I am starting to lean towards a crapped out steering rack. Any thoughts, hints, smacks to the back of the head?

are you actually losing fluid? is the level low in the reservoir?

i believe, based on what happened to my car, that you are experiencing the early indicator for a failing vcd. your description and checking of things fits what i went through a few years ago, culminating in my removal of the front section of the rear driveshaft earlier this year.

back then, the car had approx. 195,000 miles. the clutch was slipping badly, and it was due for a timing belt. so, i did the belt, new clutch, and put in a steering rack. clutch worked (and still works) fine, while the steering issues didn't change at all. for the most part, the clunking/shuddering was intermittent over the next 1.5 to 2 years, until the whole driveline began to exhibit binding whenever i tried to turn sharply on pavement. now that the driveshaft has been removed, the steering issues disappeared.

i've put about 10,000 miles on it since removing part of the driveshaft.

wally