Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's see your snorkels

RAugur33

Newly finished.

2" ABS plastic. routed via jbbvw's example. Except I used a flexible SPFI intake tube to make the bend. I really have always wanted to have that "SUBARU F.I." badge visible on the outside for a snorkle. Swirl on the end to prevent rain water and highway speed roof spray from getting in.

SPFI aircleaner mounted on the spare tire shelf. 2" shower drain fitting installed onto back of the airbox to make a tight seal to the ABS.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010007.jpg

• 1 month later...
Whatever man.........:rolleyes:

Seems like I'm gonna need it though for when this pissing contest really gets goin.

LMAO point... Gloyale!

My point was not really to ridicule, sorry. It just looks messy man. Too many bends and abrupt turns to really work well. Sure, it gets air to the intake but it could be so much better if you cleaned it up.

LMAO point... Gloyale!

My point was not really to ridicule, sorry. It just looks messy man. Too many bends and abrupt turns to really work well. Sure, it gets air to the intake but it could be so much better if you cleaned it up.

fair eough but it was really the on;y way I could make a stock intake boot work and still mount the filter box up high. I needed all the IAC and PCV fittings...........It was just all I had on hand.

I always itended on making a new piece from between the MAF to the engine with minimal bends but still with all the right PCV and IAC fittings.

The SPFI boot through the cowl is, like I said, just for show.....love that Subaru FI badge. But I may replace with ABS someday.

The loop works really well to keep out splash and rain.

If you think that looks Lincoln loggish........You will cringe at the water separator system I have in the works for the v.2.0

If you clean it up, or should I say for ver 2.0, you could peel or cut the Subaru spfi badge off the rubber boot, and glue it to your next snorkel in a more visually appealing location? Just a thought... :). Besides, there aren't enough bends to really effect performance, it's not a high cfm turbo or anything anyway.... Lol

... Besides, there aren't enough bends to really effect performance, it's not a high cfm turbo or anything anyway.... Lol

Actually, there are more than enough Austin. Every bend slows air flow. He is relying solely on the engine to generate air flow. A turbo motor self-generates air flow. A SPFI does not generate enough to overcome the bends.

Actually, there are more than enough Austin. Every bend slows air flow. He is relying solely on the engine to generate air flow. A turbo motor self-generates air flow. A SPFI does not generate enough to overcome the bends.

Well........it's not SPFI

That's an EJ18 in there:grin:

I am pretty sure it isn't hurting my bottom end, which is where I need power for a wheeler.

I agree every bend counts, and with a few less (or larger diameter pipe) I could make a bit more on the top end.

Edited by Gloyale

Well........it's not SPFI

That's an EJ18 in there:grin:

I am pretty sure it isn't hurting my bottom end, which is where I need power for a wheeler.

I agree every bend counts, and with a few less (or larger diameter pipe) I could make a bit more on the top end.

It is an EJ18. It has more power than the old pile it came with. That would explain why you think it has more power. You still need air for bottom end power. You do not want to hear it. Which is fine. So, enjoy!

Is there reason people have the snorkle go all the way to the top of the roofline. I would think if you had that much water around you, you would be floating down the river and have bigger problems.

They are set that high to keep dust and debris out of the air system as well. Most times snorkels are used is to keep dust rather than water out. Rather, I should specify that most big rigs. Land Rovers, F40s, Safari rigs and such normally use it for cleaner air and the occassional river crossing.

Edited by Qman